Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last four years I got heavily into timeattack racing in my Supra. My brothers a mechanic and we built everything on the Supra ourselves. Peaked at time attack racing by winning the fastest track time in 2013 Yokohama event, and wanted the next challenge.

Pic of my 800hp Supra in race spec (it changes back to a road registered after each race):

I have been riding 2004-2005 R1's for 7ish years now and I went out for a ride day and swapped rides with my mates Honda 600rr, nice bike and after riding it I was amazed how light it was and how easy it was to THROW it in and out of corners... for those who don't know, you have to man handle the heavy R1 into doing what you want in a corner, and if you are rough with the throttle you will end up in a world of pain. Anyways, I got to thinking I should race a 600..

Pic of my R1:

So I bought a new (to me) 2008 R6 with 8,000kms on it, that the owner decided to 'get out of racing'. Here's some pics:

So basically I got xmas in Spetember! :YEA

So we stripped her down the following day and checked everything over and installed the smog block off plates (I had spares from the R1): -

Specs of the R6:

- 520 conversion
- GB racing covers
- Goodridge braided lines
- SDR levers
- Akrapovix slipon
- Vortex V2 rearsets
- Mupo suspension front/rear and steering dampner
- New lightweight battery
- Clipons (not sure of brand)
- Race fairings (not sure on the brand)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a vid:

VIDEO HERE <click>

I set the Vortex rearsets up for my size and set sag and rebound/preload up. Then I took it for a pretty hard ride around a local mountain we have up here, besides the obvious lack of power the think was a bullet! I can't wait to get it to the track where I can fully test the limits!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I am looking for some advice. I want to make the bike as race proof as possible, which includes protection for a drop and good protection for the motor (which is stock). I have purchased:

- radiator guard
- exup emulator
- stomp grip
- GB racing lower chain guard
- tank protector

I want to focus my money on track days. But I want the bike to be as bullet proof as possible when I inevitably drop it. Any help is welcome!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm not sure what you meant by tank protector? Protect the paint at your nuts type of protection?

I recommend the ETI sliders. They will save your tank from inevitable crash damage.

Also look into woodcraft sliders - fork, frame and swingarm sliders.

You can also look into their hand guards as well if you want.

I personally would have foregone exup eliminator and just have an ECU flashed for your mods by someone like Bauce Racing.

Also pick up the stahlbus drain valve. If you're doing tons of track days in that heat then you should be going through multiple oil changes during the season and this will make your life a lot easier.

crashing will happen so it won't hurt to have crash spares: extra bars, slider pucks, levers, pegs and foot controls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts