Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. First post here after tons of reading over the years. I have a 05 R6 27,000 Miles that developed a sputter at around 2.5-4k and will then take off. It is not all the time, it likes to do it more when I am sitting at stop lights and then look like a fool. It really sounds like it is down a cylinder when i get on the throttle, and once and a while it will sound like it is idling funny. I decided to forget about it over winter and wait it spring, but I am getting the itch again and reproducing the issue with the bike in idle and just blipping the throttle. Dealership wants a blank check and to start throwing things at it :mad: and they don’t seem to have a clue. I see a lot of posts around that say coils, but no one ever responds if that was the actual problem.

I have tested mine both cold and warm.

They are all within spec when warm but cylinder 1 is low (Secondary 5, 6.1, 6.1, 6.1)…..this is what I am suspecting. The dealer says they should be ordered in sets, and they want like 600$, I found a used set locally off a 04 R6 but the secondary resistance on them is 9.1, and another set off a 03 that have the Mitsubishi coils and they also test at 9.1. In the service manual for the 03 however it says they should be around 5-7( I forget the exact range). Am I missing something here?? Will the 03-04 coils work on my bike with the same primary resistance, but higher secondary?

Any other suggestions/things to check?!

Mods when it started: Akrapovic Exhaust, KN, PCV w/LCD w/ Custom map

Recently added slide stops, smog plates, velocity stacks. Would like to get this issue figured out before I bring it in for another tune for the new parts.

Appreciate any help you guys may be!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No change in that. Get around 120 miles before the light comes on and that has always been pretty standard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts