Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 05 yamaha r6 wont start anymore. it was working fine until i shut off the bike. i jump start the bike and it started right up and rides normally but i notice the check engine light will come on everytime i come to a stop. it doesnt come up while im riding. after that i shut off the bike and it wont start again. when i try to fire it up, it makes a buzz sound. it pretty much wont start once i shut it off so i have to jumpstart the bike everytime i want to start it. i figured it would be the battery so got a new battery and it started up with no problem. i didnt give me any problems until 30 minutes later of riding the same thing happened. the check engine light went on again everytime i stop and it wont start up anymore everytime i shut off the bike. so my problem is the bike wont start unless i jump it, the check engine light comes on everytime i stop. and i notice a error code 46. idk if its the rectifier, stator or the fuel injectors. please help me figure this out!! thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm no expert but I would guess the charging system isn't working, might want to check battery voltage with key off engine off, key on engine off and then check voltage if you can get it to start to see if it's charging

Also I don't know what code 46 indicates

·
Registered
24 Posts
where do i start by checking the charging system? the "power supply to FI system relay" is considered the charging system? sorry man i dont have full knowledge to motorcycles.
Start by using a multimeter, obviously connect positive and negative leads to matching battery terminals then see what the following outputs are for key off engine off, key on engine off and while running

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay ill go ahead and try that out. im going to have to jump start it. so once i test the voltage, how can i tell what to replace? like if it doesnt reach to expected amount, that shows that the ______ is bad? dont know if its either the rr or stator..

·
nova r6
3,263 Posts
Charge the battery fully first or just go ahead and replace with a new fully charged battery. You will get incorrect readings if you start doing the test with a sub par battery.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

You want the 2003 manual (the 05 supplement is just for changes to your model for that year)

Goto Section 8 page 23 this gives you all the info you need on checking the charging system

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.