Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put 220 miles on the bike this weekend and i was wondering if there is anything i should do between the 0-600 mile checkup? should i change the oil between then or anything else?cuz im super paranoid but maybe too much i dunno cuz.....................thats my baby....... :hump

·
I eat YOUR r6
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
semi synth is what calls for the break in right?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i think it would be best to change your oil, the main break-in period is the first 100 miles, so your riding around with chips of metal in your oil

:cheers

·
Registered
487 Posts
i unerstand the paranoia and my bike has almost 10k on it
:drink

·
Registered
51 Posts
What is the typical cost of the first 600 miles check up at the dealer? What exactly do they do besides the oil and filter change? I've been told by some people that for the first few services (ie. 600, 1000, 4000) if you don't let an authorized dealer service your bike, they can void your warranty? (I find that this is hard swallow).

Thanks for any input on this topic.

:cheers

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
I think they change the oil, adjust the valves, and check all the nuts and bolts to make sure that everything is tight.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I paid $120, I have seen as high as $200. they change the oil, filter, plugs, and they pretty much go over the whole bike. Just to save me the aggervation I got my first service done at the dealer, not to mention if they find something wrong it gets replaced under warranty. Having the first service done at the dealer als ocould make or break a sale later it helps in deterimining how the bike was maintained. You are more apt to buy a car that was dealer maintained aren't you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
njk27 said:
I paid $120, I have seen as high as $200. they change the oil, filter, plugs, and they pretty much go over the whole bike. Just to save me the aggervation I got my first service done at the dealer, not to mention if they find something wrong it gets replaced under warranty. Having the first service done at the dealer als ocould make or break a sale later it helps in deterimining how the bike was maintained. You are more apt to buy a car that was dealer maintained aren't you?
Thanks for all your comments guys. What about letting them service your bike for the first few schedule interval BS or your warranty can be void? I like to do regular maintenance on all my vehicles, that way I can get intimate and learn about my vehicles.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Intimate?........no comment. They can not void your warranty if it isn't serviced there.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
sqvvcd said:
What about letting them service your bike for the first few schedule interval BS or your warranty can be void? I like to do regular maintenance on all my vehicles, that way I can get intimate and learn about my vehicles.
wrenching for a living has its advantages for times like this. i had the dealer do the first service. then i did the rest after that. for me i have a maintenance log for everything i do to the bike or any of my vehicles just to keep tabs of what has been done. just keep your receipts of the parts you buy like oil, filters and any other items for your scheduled services. then they cant say squat about voiding your warranty. well at least thats how i do things, besides i know the mechanics at the dealer anyway, the same guys i ride with.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
I think they change the oil, adjust the valves, and check all the nuts and bolts to make sure that everything is tight.
Check your manual they don't adjust the valves until your past 25k miles.

Mainly they change oil and filter, adjust chain and lube it, lube cables and check that the bolts are tight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts