Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my 05 R6 started exhibiting the following issues. I noticed they all appeared after my bike sat for ~2 months and the battery completely died, leading me to replace it with a Shorai lithium batttery. I only owned the bike for a few weeks prior to this happening so I'm not sure if they were present before the battery swap. The problems:

~ Bike would die in upper RPMs at full throttle randomly

~ Bike would turn on but the fuel pump wouldn't prime / would only prime for a second - happened randomly, no rhyme/reason

~ Bike would turn on, prime, but wouldn't turn over. Multiple attempts later it would randomly start and proceed to work just fine.

~ Bike would randomly die on deceleration/idle

I took the bike to a shop, they found no issues with the bike. A mechanic friend of mine recommending cleaning the injectors/whatnot with some cleaner, thinking they might be gunked up. Viola, I did this, and despite all of the criticism on here I've received for thinking that stuff works, I had no more idle/prime issues for the rest of last season.

This season I went to start it up, cranked but wouldn't catch. Mechanic friend suggested replacing the spark plugs - I just did this today. Once again, randomly as usual, the bike wouldn't start. It would turn on, no prime/crank. Few minutes later after changing nothing, it primed/turned on. Cruised around for a minute and it turned off on me while coasting. During this time I had the seat off (Before I took it for a 1 min ride) and I could hear some faint clicking as if the electrical system was turning on/off.

So, my long-overdrawn and seemingly fairly obvious conclusion is that there is something wrong with the electrical system on this bike. I'm even further convinced of this because the previous owner has a power commander and a speedo healer on the bike, both of which (I believe) are spliced or somehow wired into the factory harness.

My question is, where should I start looking for issues? I had the bike apart-ish today doing the spark plugs and I checked every inch of wiring that I could. No plugs seemed loose, no wires frayed or completely damaged. Should I perhaps look into the power commander device itself? I'm not *that* handy so I'm unsure if I'd be able to unwire it from the bike and whatnot. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything I can look into before doing something that drastic? I would have to have a shop do that, I certainly can't run a new harness.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The power commander should be plugged into the harness, not spliced. If it is spliced into the harness, it probably wasn't made for your bike and you should re-connect the factory harness and get rid of the PC. If it is plugged in and not spliced, you could try putting the stock fuel map/settings in it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been having these issues since the new battery. Possible I just got a bad Shorai lithium? Seems like it has plenty of power because it cranks/starts up right away whenever the bike is working. Is there any scenario where the battery would have plenty of juice to crank the bike but still be causing these issues?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,247 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
For what it is worth, my 05 R6 sat outside for awhile before I purchased it. The problem was my display lights and headlights would go off and on seemingly at random. Playing around further, I discovered the lights would go on or off depending on the position of the handlebars. I traced the issue to the main harness connector. It had been moved from its protected OEM position to make room for the HID ballasts. Weather had gotten into the connector while quick erosion soured the connection. After crc electro wash and sandpaper/filing gently the connectors in there, the issue was gone.

Maybe it's not a random thing happening to your 05 r6. Maybe the connector connection (im talking one pin in the harness) comes loose when you are riding. And not even loose, it is still plugged and locked in. its the corrosion that breaks the connection.Would be worth investigating if your bike sat outdoors for awhile, too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts