Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to find a good thread on installing angel eyes in the 05 headlight assy, but they all still leave a lot to the imagination (which isn't a bad thing I suppose). They were all very helpful with tips and ideas that helped me get mine done. I thought I'd post the steps I took for mine, in case it helps someone doing the same thing.

I have the low-beam on a hidden toggle switch under the fairing, so the halos can act as my daytime running lights and not look goofy. The high-beam switch on the clip-on still works as factory. This was the easiest way for me to wire it without having to run a significant amount of wire into a 3-pos. switch. The toggle switch is easily accessible while riding, and is between the relay and the light (20A switch). I had put HID's in at the same time and didn't have much room for more wiring.

The headlight assembly was easy to get apart. I followed the instructions of another forum member on a thread here, by putting it in the oven (at 200 deg. I believe is what I used) for about 4 mins. The clear lenses pulled apart very easy - I didn't have to use a screwdriver.

After the headlight was apart I removed the projectors. They come out by unscrewing the bolts you would use to aim the headlight. I installed the LED halos with clear RTV, ran the wire for it in the channel located at the bottom of the projector, and then filled it full of black RTV to hold the wire in place. After drying for 12 hrs, they're on there good!

I also installed marker lights on the outboard part of the headlight assy. I just drilled a hole in either side to accommodate the LED's and wired them to the halos. I didn't use any connectors here, just soldered all of the wire together. I figure LED's are reliable enough to probably not need a connector. That said, it's easy enough to splice a new marker light in with the bike together. I pulled power from the OEM marker light power wire in the turn signal connector. This gives the halos/markers power on as soon as the key is turned on. I did install a separate connector here, so the fairing can still be easily be removed.

I wanted to keep as much of the bike OEM as I could, so that if I ever wanted to put it back to how it was, none of the parts would be ruined. Reheating the whole assembly to push the plastic lenses back into the headlight housing worked well. Just make sure it's spotless on the inside before you seal it back up again.

I'm very happy with how they turned out. The worst part was trying to make it look as tidy as possible. I don't think I'll have another bike without them! They make it look much nicer than the traditional "burnt out" headlight look.

Attachments

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Nice!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where did u get the marker lights and how much more details on that please... I have a 08r6s and would like to do the same do they put out enough light to use as a drl with no low bean in US opinion?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stickshift03, the lights were from e-bay. They are a T-10 replacement LED bulb. The LED halos actually project a fair bit of light, but not enough for late evening or night riding. I don't think they would pass safety inspection as daytime running lights, which is why I have the switch under the fairing. That way when I take it in for safety, it will have the OEM style lighting. To throw any amount of light ahead of you, you have to have the bulb in the projector on. That said, for the purpose of being noticed, the halos work very well as running lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts