Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a good steering dampener for an 05 r6 I don’t want a cheap one that’s not going to work but i definitely need one had a bad tank slapper at over 100

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,175 Posts
If you had a tank slapper on an 05, there is something else going on. (Suspension set up, geometry, rider position/technique, tire pressure, etc.). The 2nd gen is a VERY stable platform. A steering damper will only band-aid the problem, not fix it.
Watch this video from one of the preeminent suspension gurus in the industry. Notice what he DOESN’T mention.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had a tank slapper on an 05, there is something else going on. (Suspension set up, geometry, rider position/technique, tire pressure, etc.). The 2nd gen is a VERY stable platform. A steering damper will only band-aid the problem, not fix it.
So if it was under heavy acceleration it’s most like my technique then I was at about 50 and when i shifted from 3rd to 4th that’s when it happens?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,175 Posts
Too hard to tell from this side of a screen. You have to analyze the situation and figure it out. Dave Moss gave several things to look at in that video.
Start with suspension set up. There is a thread called Suspension 101 in the suspension section of this forum. Follow it step by step to set your baseline settings. You’ll probably need some help holding the bike upright while you sit on it to get your sag set up. As you do this, look at maintenance issues: tire inflation, tire wear, make sure your steering head bearings don’t have play, leaky/worn out forks and shock, etc.
Finally look at your riding techniques and position that may have caused to situation: were you tight on the grips, arms locked, leaning or sitting too far back, putting steering inputs into the bars while shifting, etc?

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
123 Posts
By the way, 2005 bikes have 120/70 in the front, just like 2006+.
Tweak your suspension settings, and make sure they're symmetric on both left & right sides.
Also check tire pressures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts