Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i want to say my bike ran good but I had issued with the TPS sticking. I took the TPS off and cleaned it. While i had the bike down i tore it down for the winter rebuild. I damaged my stator when i was removing it to replace the cover due to an old wreck. The stator was used off ebay and was only suppose to have 10k miles on it. Now the bike is hard to start and if it will if will only idle a second and die. if u touch the gas it dies immediately. if i hold the bike wide open it either wont start or if it does it just surges from 4-6k then dies. and it sounds like a sick quad. Im guessing that I just got screwed for buying a used stator off eBay but would appreciate someone else's opinion

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
First i want to say my bike ran good but I had issued with the TPS sticking. I took the TPS off and cleaned it. While i had the bike down i tore it down for the winter rebuild. I damaged my stator when i was removing it to replace the cover due to an old wreck. The stator was used off ebay and was only suppose to have 10k miles on it. Now the bike is hard to start and if it will if will only idle a second and die. if u touch the gas it dies immediately. if i hold the bike wide open it either wont start or if it does it just surges from 4-6k then dies. and it sounds like a sick quad. Im guessing that I just got screwed for buying a used stator off eBay but would appreciate someone else's opinion
the stator has nothing to do with how the bike will run, it only provides electricity to your battery, so as your bike uses the energy for lighting and whatnot, the stator re-charges the battery from dying.
You check check if the stator is working properly by testing voltage at your battery with bike off, at idle, and @~5krpm.

You say 'sticking' tps, so i assume you checked it in diag mode and noticed the numbers arent going up and down steadily?
so after cleaning it i assume you got it to be consistent as you rolled on the throttle.

If thats all good, then I would take a look at your ignition coils.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the stator has nothing to do with how the bike will run, it only provides electricity to your battery, so as your bike uses the energy for lighting and whatnot, the stator re-charges the battery from dying.
You check check if the stator is working properly by testing voltage at your battery with bike off, at idle, and @~5krpm.

You say 'sticking' tps, so i assume you checked it in diag mode and noticed the numbers arent going up and down steadily?
so after cleaning it i assume you got it to be consistent as you rolled on the throttle.

If thats all good, then I would take a look at your ignition coils.

I know the stator is basically the alternator on a car for the bike was just confused as to why this started after i replaced it. Just seems to be a odd coincident.

I didnt get that technical w the TPS diagnostic. I had an issue about 3 years ago with it just dying anytime i pulled in the clutch unless i keep it at about 2g while sitting at red lights. it would start and stop doing this without any reason. someone on here said to clean it with electric cleaner and put it back on. This worked until i parked it for this winter when it had started doing the same thing. I tore it down for paint and maintenance and cleaned it again. but when i put it back together it started doing what i decribed in the original post. However i took the TPS loose today and was moving it. it wouldnt start or idle without giving it gas. But if i was give it gas and keep the throttle on it would rev and take gas like it should. Im guessing this should be a TPS sensor issue since i was able to move it and get it to start but not idle. I put new plugs in every winter and seems to do good once i got it started today.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I know the stator is basically the alternator on a car for the bike was just confused as to why this started after i replaced it. Just seems to be a odd coincident.

I didnt get that technical w the TPS diagnostic. I had an issue about 3 years ago with it just dying anytime i pulled in the clutch unless i keep it at about 2g while sitting at red lights. it would start and stop doing this without any reason. someone on here said to clean it with electric cleaner and put it back on. This worked until i parked it for this winter when it had started doing the same thing. I tore it down for paint and maintenance and cleaned it again. but when i put it back together it started doing what i decribed in the original post. However i took the TPS loose today and was moving it. it wouldnt start or idle without giving it gas. But if i was give it gas and keep the throttle on it would rev and take gas like it should. Im guessing this should be a TPS sensor issue since i was able to move it and get it to start but not idle. I put new plugs in every winter and seems to do good once i got it started today.
the part in bold seems to be a classic sign you have atleast 1 bad ignition coil.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thanks. Would u know how to test to see which one it would be? i really dont want to drop over $200 right now to replace all of them
You can pull them out and then check their resistances. Use the service manual.
Although usually you wont see a problem until the coils hit a certain temperature, which is what mine were doing, makes it sort of hard to diagnose.

Since your bike wont run almost at all i would say 1 will more then likely be out of spec. resistance wise, but either way i would go ahead and replace all 4.

They are expensive from dealer, i ended up buying a used set from a new bike that was wrecked, got all 4 for like ~40$ shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts