Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been seeing more threads about the 2006-2007 R6 catching fire when hitting the ground because of the fuel tank extending pass the bikes frame.

I called Yamaha of Cypress, CA and they have heard of a few R6's catching fire but there is no recalls on the design of the fuel tank.

anyone that has had there 06-07 R6 catch fire because of this flaw needs to contact Yamaha of Cypress, CA and file a complaint. Once a complaint is filed and enough of them are generated, Yamaha can/may/might issue a recall on this defective flaw in the fuel tank, but as of right now there isn't enough calls generated to do so.

If you know a rider that has an 06-07 R6 that this has happened to, let them know to call Yamaha ASAP and file a complaint.

Yamaha of Cypress, CA

1-800-962-7926

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this place serious?!? I mean i understand that the possibility exists that the tank will start on fire, but traxxions website seems like they are almost using scare tactics? Don't get me wrong, i understand the importance, but man...little over the top i'd say

Quote from website

"WARNING!!! BY REMOVING THIS LABEL AND USING THE TRAXXION DYNAMICS R-6 GAS TANK SLIDER, YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE POSSIBILIY ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY EXISTS THAT YOUR BIKE WILL CRASH, BURST INTO FLAMES, BURN TO THE GROUND, SOAK YOU WITH FUEL, LIGHT YOU ON FIRE, AND BURN YOU UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD. YOU ADMIT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR GAS TANK AND SLIDER WILL BE CRUSHED AND DAMAGED AND BOTH WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED IF YOU CRASH ON THEM."

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Is this place serious?!? I mean i understand that the possibility exists that the tank will start on fire, but traxxions website seems like they are almost using scare tactics? Don't get me wrong, i understand the importance, but man...little over the top i'd say

Quote from website

"WARNING!!! BY REMOVING THIS LABEL AND USING THE TRAXXION DYNAMICS R-6 GAS TANK SLIDER, YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE POSSIBILIY ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY EXISTS THAT YOUR BIKE WILL CRASH, BURST INTO FLAMES, BURN TO THE GROUND, SOAK YOU WITH FUEL, LIGHT YOU ON FIRE, AND BURN YOU UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD. YOU ADMIT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR GAS TANK AND SLIDER WILL BE CRUSHED AND DAMAGED AND BOTH WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED IF YOU CRASH ON THEM."

:lmao they have to do it because if they do not make the disclaimer people might try to sue them instead of yamaha.

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ceo, can you get a few more shots of the tank sliders, they look pretty good.

Can you tell what they are, or do they blend in and look like part of the tank/bike?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Can you tell what they are, or do they blend in and look like part of the tank/bike?
I will get some pics soon but may not be able to post them until around wednesday (going to the track for a few days :D).

You can tell that they are there. BY FAR they will look the best on the raven. The color matches the matte grey-ish color that is used on the airbox cover and the long/skinny side fairings/'wings' on that color scheme. Really looks great considering what they are. They also don't stick out as far as I would have expected. They look a lot better in person than I expected compared to how they looked in stock photos I saw as I was preparing to purchase them.

Like I said I'll get more detailed photos and post them up as soon as I get the chance / return from the track. Wish I could get my damn camera repaired and stop using my phone's camera...
My 07 R6 went up in flames on monday
I'm sorry to hear that bro. I assume you didn't have any of the aftermarket tank sliders? If you did, which ones and how did they fail?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

I will get some pics soon but may not be able to post them until around wednesday (going to the track for a few days :D).

You can tell that they are there. BY FAR they will look the best on the raven. The color matches the matte grey-ish color that is used on the airbox cover and the long/skinny side fairings/'wings' on that color scheme. Really looks great considering what they are. They also don't stick out as far as I would have expected. They look a lot better in person than I expected compared to how they looked in stock photos I saw as I was preparing to purchase them.

Like I said I'll get more detailed photos and post them up as soon as I get the chance / return from the track. Wish I could get my damn camera repaired and stop using my phone's camera...

Sorry dude I completely forgot I was going to get you some more pics.... my bad. Here ya go:

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
Tank sliders are useless. I highsided last week and it simply shattered the sliders and ruptured the tank anyways. Fortunately it didn't catch fire, but I had to break out the JB Weld nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Tank sliders are useless. I highsided last week and it simply shattered the sliders and ruptured the tank anyways. Fortunately it didn't catch fire, but I had to break out the JB Weld nonetheless.
That must have been a pretty violent highside.

I have seen a lot of wrecked R6's where the tank sliders hands down saved the bike. They're not useless. They just didn't work in your crash.

·
Knee Draggin Druggie
195 Posts
That seems ridiculous price for all of those sliders. :(

you gotta be kiddin me!

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CEO, thanks for the pix's.

Deaksgap, maybe the sliders did there job, taking the blunt of the force?

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
i saw some on a candy 6 at the track 2 weeks ago, they didnt look NEAR as bad as i expected them too, i am going to order some before my next track day... they arent the prettiest thing, but they arent the ugliest thing either and hopefully they stand tall in case of dismount.

Anything can happen with any protection on your bike, its merely to help prevent fires ect.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That seems ridiculous price for all of those sliders. :(

you gotta be kiddin me!
You think you can design something and have it produced for cheaper?

The molds for those cost $10k each, and their production run is very small (limited market). That's why they cost as much as they do.
CEO, thanks for the pix's.
No problem dude. I'll let you know if I test them out (knocks on wood).
i saw some on a candy 6 at the track 2 weeks ago, they didnt look NEAR as bad as i expected them too, i am going to order some before my next track day... they arent the prettiest thing, but they arent the ugliest thing either and hopefully they stand tall in case of dismount.
I've seen them on a red 6 as well... obviously they blend the best on the raven, but really they don't look too bad on most of the colors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts