Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i was riding yesterday and my bike started sputtering and then died on me. It was then showing error code "er_1" with the hi temp sigh and check engine light flashing. Now when i turn the key on the tach moves up and down but nothing comes on the displays and obviously the bike wont start. Does anyone in the northern va or west virginia area have an 06 or 07 bike i could put my ecu in and see if its fried? Anything helps thanks guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just a note my ecu has been reflashed by Anthony at Bauce racing last summer. Which I'd like to mention, has been very friendly and helpful in trying to help me get my bike back on the road again. Thanks Chiefsmokedawg.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Your post got messed up. It said er_1?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should know by the end of the day today if the ECU is fried or not. If so, what could be the reason it's fried randomly while I was riding the bike? I haven't done anything with the electrical on the bike..

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Doc V sez you checked your ECU in her bike? Did you try her ECU in your bike?

If you didn't try her ECU in your bike, or you did, and it didn't help, I'd check the voltage regulator. If the the stator isn't feeding the right voltage back into the system maybe it's screwing stuff up?

·
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon
290 Posts
Id go with trying his ECU in her bike....vs. trying her ECU in his bike.

If his bike have a problem else where it just might fry her ECU also.

This way if his ECU starts her bike...then you know its not the ECU and something else on his bike. If it do not start her bike, then you know its his ECU.

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts

This way if his ECU starts her bike...then you know its not the ECU and something else on his bike. If it do not start her bike, then you know its his ECU.
He did, and it did....

·
290 Posts
He did, and it did....
ah ok, I missed that part.

Maybe he can take a short video of what happens when he turns the key on.
Like do the fuel injectors Prime? that would be step one.
If they do not, that is where I would start. See what could keep the fuel injectors from activating.

If they do do Prime, and you hit the start button and get nothing, then Id trace the ignition issue.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Doc V sez you checked your ECU in her bike? Did you try her ECU in your bike?

If you didn't try her ECU in your bike, or you did, and it didn't help, I'd check the voltage regulator. If the the stator isn't feeding the right voltage back into the system maybe it's screwing stuff up?
No, because of...

This exact possibility.

We swapped his ECU in, my bike fired up fine and didn't give any error readings. So we're thinking that it must be something else entirely...?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
No, because of...

This exact possibility.

We swapped his ECU in, my bike fired up fine and didn't give any error readings. So we're thinking that it must be something else entirely...?

Thanks for helping Tyler out!! :cheers

I emailed him back last night suggesting he reground his PCV. Sand down the paint on the surface the ground is contacting.

Also to do the same for the grounds on the harness.

If none of this helps next step would be to remove the PCV to eliminate it from the equation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did try the ECU in her bike lastnight and it started right up...talked to Ant from Bauce racing and said it possibly could be my PCV ground or a wire harness ground issue? Could I just take the PCV off my bike since I have his flash on my bike? I'll check the grounds tonight after work but haven't done it before so I'm sure it'll take time. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also thanks Docv for the help too BTW! Is it a bad thing to have my ground on the PCV on the negative terminal on my bikes battery?

·
290 Posts
I did try the ECU in her bike lastnight and it started right up...talked to Ant from Bauce racing and said it possibly could be my PCV ground or a wire harness ground issue? Could I just take the PCV off my bike since I have his flash on my bike? I'll check the grounds tonight after work but haven't done it before so I'm sure it'll take time. Thanks for all the help guys!
I wish your initial post stated that you had a Fuel controller (Bazzaz/PCV).
9 times out of 10 that is the problem. The reasons can varry, from power lead connection not making a full contact, Ground wire screwed down to a painted surface and more.

Like mentioned above, check all connections, make sure ground and power are secured well. If it still do not work, remove the fuel controller wire harness.

Good thing is that you are on the right road now....

·
290 Posts
Also thanks Docv for the help too BTW! Is it a bad thing to have my ground on the PCV on the negative terminal on my bikes battery?
Tough question kinda.

I know that all Fuel Controllers (Bazzaz/Power commander) instruct to ground to the central Frame ground location on the bike vs. Negative battery Terminal.

The longer the wire, the more resistance, but since the wire to the battery and to the Frame Ground are the same distance that shouldn't be the reason.

Problems you can have grounding to a battery are:
corrosion, poor terminal contact from loose connection
possible rectifier/stator issues causing battery & FC issues (but then again it would do the same on the positive side of the battery)....

I cant really say why it is bad, but can only say the manufactures of most FC want them grounded to the Frame Ground bolt.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
911 Posts
First thing I would do is disconnected the PC. Not necessarily remove it, just plug your injectors back into the original harness. Same with the TPS. Since your ECU started Docs bike, whatever it is didn't wipe out your ECU and is likely an ancillary system or part. The feedback from that system or part made the ECU shut down.
I've watched many folks bang their head on a wall at the track, only to find it was an add on that could be bypassed. PC, TRE, QS module and TC have all given people fits.
Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish your initial post stated that you had a Fuel controller (Bazzaz/PCV).
9 times out of 10 that is the problem. The reasons can varry, from power lead connection not making a full contact, Ground wire screwed down to a painted surface and more.

Like mentioned above, check all connections, make sure ground and power are secured well. If it still do not work, remove the fuel controller wire harness.

Good thing is that you are on the right road now....
Sorry I didn't mention it in the original post, didn't even think about it! All my connections to the battery are secured tightly with zero corrosion at all. Maybe Anthony will chime in and let me know if I can just take the PCV out completely(I'm pretty sure he said I could when he flashed my ECU). When I get home today I'll start taking the PCV out and try and starting the bike. Definitely will keep everyone posted on what happens :toocool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts