Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2006 R6 track bike. I've ridden Yamaha my whole life and I've owned a 2000 R6, 2003 R6, 2005 R6 and now the 2006 R6. So I've basically had every generation. I love my bike to death but I'm just growing bored with R6's right how after riding them straight for 8yrs or so now.

I debated on getting the new 600rr b/c its an amazing bike and my roomie has one and its just awesome. I've also looked at the 08 GSX-R600. I like both and the new GSX-R is getting great reviews as well as the new 08 R6!

I havent ridden an 08 R6 so basically Im looking for some advice from someone that has / had an 06/07 R6 and now has an 08. Did they really fix the midrange issue or is it only a minor boost? I read every review I can find, I've watched every video I can find, I watch the R6 dominate the AMA SS class all the way up till Miller this weekend.

Can someone that has the knowledge of both bikes, perferably someone that rides track quite a bit, give me some insight? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
The 08 R6 is the bike to have this year. Just as the CBR600RR was the bike to have last year. It is completely redesigned from the ground up. From the frame re-design to the YCC-I (computer controlled intake), the 08 R6 is the bike of the year to have for a reason. Lot of people are saying the mid and high powerband ranges are great. The lowend still is something to desire. I guess you can't have the best of all worlds in this game. With that said, the R6 is still the track weapon to have in my opinion. SpidermanSS has a write-up out there somewhere on the 08.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know all the changes, new frame, YCCI, 50 friction reducing mods, ect ect, I just really want to know when it comes to turning the throttle and throwing it into a turn how much better is it than the 06? I can read reveiws all day but I want to know from people that own the bike or have ridden them, not from journalist writing a review on it ect. Know what I mean?

Thanks for your reply though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my '08 R6 in April. I absolutely love this bike. I've never been on an '06 but I'm sure it's everything you're used to and then some. Aside from the powerband issue, which has been upgraded for '08, there is no other 600 out there that can compete in terms of overall styling and handling. Go for it...

·
07 Charcoal Grey R6
760 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the large number of changes aren't ones that you will feel on the street and honestly no other 600 is going to get rid of this boredom. I mean sure you will feel the extra ummph in the midrange & the quicker steering. However I'd say it's time to advance in cc's. Get a twin or better yet wait and get the new R1! See>http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234155

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I'm not really a fan of any of the 08 models. The 600rr looks pretty good, until I noticed that they moved the taillight to underneath of the exhaust, looks like it could be difficult to do anything (better) with it. The R6, I'm not a huge fan of the new tail, but it doesn't bother me, I do not like how the mirrors are mounted, but I do like the new DB windscreens and the available GYTR gel seat you can get. And the suzukis are well, they're suzukis, so no thanks (I don't care for their styling at all, never have). Kawasaki I haven't even looked into... yet, so I dunno.

But if I had the riding skill (sounds like you do) and the money, I'd be all out for the new KTM. :nocontrol

EDIT: But I haven't ridden any of them. Just visual things I've noticed

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not really a fan of any of the 08 models. The 600rr looks pretty good, until I noticed that they moved the taillight to underneath of the exhaust, looks like it could be difficult to do anything (better) with it. The R6, I'm not a huge fan of the new tail, but it doesn't bother me, I do not like how the mirrors are mounted, but I do like the new DB windscreens and the available GYTR gel seat you can get. And the suzukis are well, they're suzukis, so no thanks (I don't care for their styling at all, never have). Kawasaki I haven't even looked into... yet, so I dunno.

But if I had the riding skill (sounds like you do) and the money, I'd be all out for the new KTM. :nocontrol

the DB windscreen comes stock?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have debated on moving up to a bigger bike, but I want to start racing next season if possible and Im really used to my 600 and well the R6, but as I said I've grown extremely bored with it, and the thought of trying another brand, honda, gsxr, ect sounds very exciting to me right now.

I've been drooling over the 1098 since it released, and the new 1000rr is bad ass as well!

I've never ridden a liter bike on the track only my buddies 07 repsol 1000rr a few blocks from his house. I would love to get a 1098 but everything for them is quite expensive.

All my friends tell me I should stay with a 600 just switch it up a bit, but i have one that is telling me to go ahead and get my first 1000cc and give it a try.

Thought?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The new KTM wont be out in the states for another year or so according to magazines... =(

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I know all the changes, new frame, YCCI, 50 friction reducing mods, ect ect, I just really want to know when it comes to turning the throttle and throwing it into a turn how much better is it than the 06? I can read reveiws all day but I want to know from people that own the bike or have ridden them, not from journalist writing a review on it ect. Know what I mean?

Thanks for your reply though!
GAWarrior has a writeup on this very topic. He clearly defines the how the 08 performs. He test rode the 08 R6 with Yamaha when they came out. He is probably one of the best riders on this forum. I recommend you read his writeup to find your answer. Search can be your friend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the 2006 r6 also..and I too love that bike to death. But like i've told a few of my friends...if I were to get a bike nowadays..it'd be the new CBR 600. I think they look as good as the r6, if not a lil better (especially that graffiti scheme). I'm just sayin...if I were to get a bike nowadays. I love my r6 and i'm sooo used to every little thing it does. I was debating between the R6 and the CBR when I bought my bike....no regrets with my r6. This probably doesn't help you much since you asked about the 08 R6, but i thought i'd add my 2 cents 'cause the same thought has crossed my mind too.

·
07 Charcoal Grey R6
760 Posts
I say make the move to the liter class. It's seems as though you have had your fill of R6's now! They've all been top notch models that you mentioned. I say move unto something else and enjoy! Nothing wrong with 6's but a 1000cc machine will keep you from getting bored. You will more than likely find your palms sweating and saying "Damn I almost didn't make it that time". I'm not suggesting you should enjoy this type of fun. However even operating with restraint & skill you'll still find your self saying "Whoa almost bit the big one".

·
mine is better than yours
664 Posts
i actually have owned the 06-07 and now have the 08. i will say they somewhat gave the mid a little more umph, but it still soars in the upper rpm's. im a on and off knee dragger (cant just go out and hit, kinda just happens every now and then), and getting that low i notice the 08 feels smoother. i dont race or anything, but i do know that the 08 is a different bike. just my .02, hope it helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the choice of the 08 or 07 but didn't like the look of the new 08's so went for the 07 in titanium, Ive got the exact bike I wanted and extra money in my wallet.. If design is no issue then the 08's a no brainer..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Im seriously concidering finally going to a liter bike. Not that I have even maxed out my 600, as I know I can still do alot more with it, but as I've said I've grown bored with it since I've ridden the R6 for so long.

So now the question is a Twin or Inline-4? 1098 OR 08 1000rr? OR wait for the new KTM RC8?

·
Building a Zombie
66 Posts
IMO stay faithful wit yamaha...lol i got an 06 n ima get an 08 in december...lol im curious 2 c what the diff will b between the 2 bikes...:toocool:

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Im seriously concidering finally going to a liter bike. Not that I have even maxed out my 600, as I know I can still do alot more with it, but as I've said I've grown bored with it since I've ridden the R6 for so long.

So now the question is a Twin or Inline-4? 1098 OR 08 1000rr? OR wait for the new KTM RC8?
A bike that's getting lots of rave lately is the Ducati 848. I know a few liter bike guys who went out and purchased one. They absolutely love them.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
get the CBR600RR, it is still the best there is.
they gave it a bit of a lower score on the track due to its lack of a factory slipper clutch, but a Yoyodyne or STM will solve that, and are MUCH nicer than what the others come w/ stock.
many local racers w/ R6 and GSXR6 are swapping the slippers anyway.

all are good, but the CBR is near perfect for almost everyone.

everything i have been reading about the 848 in real world experience say its over hyped and over priced.
the RC8 is worth waiting for IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts