Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question that someone might know more about than I do. I heard on the 06-08 R6 if i were to replace the igntion i would have to replace the ECU with it is that true? reason im asking is that my cousin built the bike and he lost the key but my dads friend is a locksmith and cut the key but now the bike wont start. It turns over but wont acually catch and now the front headlights dont work. The red light blinks when i put the key in and spedo turns on but it wont turn over and i killed my battery trying :(. Is there a way I can bypass it or can I just buy a new ignition without having to replace the whole thing cause Yamaha wants $1100 for the whole set What are my options ???

Thanks....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a way I can bypass it or can I just buy a new ignition without having to replace the whole thing cause Yamaha wants $1100 for the whole set What are my options ???
If you're referring to the immobilizer system, then there is no way around it. $1100 sounds about right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So there is no other way?
No - unless you know how to hack the immobilizer system.

I mean why cant I just get a new ignition
The immobilizer system is designed to prevent you from doing exactly that. If someone steals your bike, then they can't simply replace the lock and use a brand new key to start it. They must replace the entire ignition system which includes the ECU and costs over $1000.

·
Banned
441 Posts
You can get an ECU off ebay for pretty cheap though... Im assuming that your in Europe? Not in America at least right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts