Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cheap 06-08 R6r Headlight mod

Anyone tried just replacing the H7 Bulbs with H4 and modified them to fit?
I've tried it.. got the H4 to fit and works great..
But i dont know if the Hi beams gives enough light..
going to check it out some more..and if all is good..
maby make a quick How to.. it really is a cheap and easy mod to do :YEA

looks good tho.. both headlights on hi and lo beam :nocontrol

The bulbs I use on this test is from an old car wreck.. so they might be a bit worn..

Daytime test pic (animated)

Night Lo:

Night Hi:

Havent adjusted the headlights angle yet tho..

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
So all you have to do for both headlights to run at the same time, is to switch to H4 bulbs? Seems kind of simple if so.
i would almost guarentee that you need to run some wires. Im assuming H4 are dual filament bulbs (meaning each bulb is a high beam as well as a low beam). So instead of your low beam power going to the left bulb, and your high beam going to the right bulb... now both bulbs will have low and high power wires.

At least thats what i assume he did

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup..
All i did.. was getting some H4 bulbs.. and fabbed a socket placing just like on the H7 of plastic (temporary just to see how it fits..)
Then wired the the H4 wires together.. lo on lo, hi on hi, ground on ground.. then just connect the ground and low from the h4 to the original lo wires.. and the h4 hi to the + on the original hi...
and it works like a charm..
only thing is the plastic mount to the hi.. needs to be about halv a centimeter from the end.. if not it wil only light up under ur nose..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm still on the test face.. but from what i seen from the test ride i just did.. in almoast pitch black, it looks like this acually could work really well..
and it looks hell a lot better ^^

going to the junk yard to pick some more parts in the days to come.. maby I'll get some more progress with that :D

But this certainly looks like a promising and really cheap headlight mod that actually works pretty good..
And since I dont have a machine shop to fabricate this as a set/product.. I'll just share my ideas with everyone :D
Does not require advanced wiring skills either.. :YEA

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks. I just replaced the stock bulbs with H7 silverstar ultra and they are great. I would just like to have both running at the same time. But, if i have to buy some H4's to make it work, i will.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks. I just replaced the stock bulbs with H7 silverstar ultra and they are great. I would just like to have both running at the same time. But, if i have to buy some H4's to make it work, i will.
yup, Did a quick wiring drawing.. pretty simple but.. u get the idea.

Good tip to test this.. go to a car wreck yard(junkyard) and get some H4 + the plugs with wires for them.. cuz if they brake during the process of testing.. it wont matter cuz their free :D
"g,h and l" might be different from the picture..
some real pictures might come tomorrow.. doing some modding to the H4 then..

·
My R6 ate my homework
550 Posts
so how do these hold up at night...what is your visability?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think it is better than stock, but the lights needs to be adjusted a bit.. but thats a small thing..

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the reflectors on the housings on each side are different, so on high beam side it wont really help you on the ground... **I think that is how it is** and you are going to be pulling twice the wattage when your lights are on normally the low beam powers 1 55watt but in your setup when low is on it will be pulling 2 * 55w = 110watt which the bike isn't designed to do...

·
Registered
218 Posts
forgot something, cars with dual filament bulbs go in only one way (so when the certain filament is lit it shines a certain way on reflector) and now that I think about it you are pulling twice the wattage on bike, not just on each wire (when low and high are on you will be pulling 4*55 = 220 (assuming you are leaving low on with high, like it is in the pics you took)

just use HID's 35 watt * 2 ballast = 70 watts (3 times the brightness, and 1/3 the amp draw on your bike) :fact

1 - 14 of 14 Posts