Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Listen, I know the fairings are different, but just HOW different?
I don't have an 06 bike handy to compare, but how different are the Upper Left and Upper Right fairings? Do you think they can be modded to work?

Or are there any race fairings that look like the 06-07 stock fairings?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good luck.... I'm not an expert by any means but that looks to be like putting an 1995 Ford Mustang Fender on a 2010 Ford Mustang.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha yeah I know. I'm starting to think the only hope is a race fairing set that looks similar but even then I don't know

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey dude Ive seen an 03 r6 for sale on craigslist with 06 fairnings, it definetely can be done, im sure they used alot of bondo and cut the plastics but you can do it for sure. the hole patterns arent that much different, and with bondo, anything can be shaped and made if needed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roman, that is some of the best news I've heard today. You don't have a link to that listing so I can get ahold of the owner? Or is it too old?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, it can be done but will it be worth it at the end? How good are you with molding bondo, plastic, fiberglass? It will be a good project but to me I wouldn't waste my time. Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a glutten for punishment and looking for a winter project. Now I just need to find a left and right side pretty cheap. Anyone have a beat up set?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to look at that tutorial, I actually thought the tail would be the hardest. Honestly I was only looking to do the sides, will I also have to do the front end?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after looking at it, I think I will have to replace the headlights as well. This is going to be the most expensive piece probably, unless I can adapt the 04 headlights somehow.

I got some beatup fairings on the way so I think I'll make a write up on the progress when I get into it.

My last question is the short 06 pipe on the 04 bike. Most say this can violate federal law? Is this about emissions or what? My county doesn't have emissions requirements, so can I do this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey man sorry, the link is expired, it was a good deal so the seller sold it quick and deleted the post, il keep my eye out for more conversions cause im on craigslist all the time, if somthing comes up il let you know :toocool:

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts
So after looking at it, I think I will have to replace the headlights as well. This is going to be the most expensive piece probably, unless I can adapt the 04 headlights somehow.

I got some beatup fairings on the way so I think I'll make a write up on the progress when I get into it.

My last question is the short 06 pipe on the 04 bike. Most say this can violate federal law? Is this about emissions or what? My county doesn't have emissions requirements, so can I do this?
If your going to take this on, I would get a 06-07 fairing stay, headlights, and some decent looking left and right side fairrings....I know a guy :sing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey man sorry, the link is expired, it was a good deal so the seller sold it quick and deleted the post, il keep my eye out for more conversions cause im on craigslist all the time, if somthing comes up il let you know :toocool:
Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

R6G35: How much you want for each piece individually? (sides, nose, headlights) I bought a junk set of fairings to take a look at to see if it is indeed possible. If they are too bad, but look possible, I may buy your sides. I need to look at a nose piece also, as I will probably need to replace the front + headlights...so make me a cheap price wouldya

·
Registered
10 Posts
im looking forward on this conversion..I too wanted to know if 06 front end can be modded on an 02, I know the rear end is possible,I suppose?

I just really like the looks of the newer models from 06 and up, but budget permits. So I think taking the route of buying an 02 and swapping an 06 front and rear would be possible

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts
I helped my buddy put a 06-07 R6 tail on his Honda Super Hawk, so anything is possible if you want it bad enough. I actually gave him a 07 subframe, complete tail, and 06-07 seats to make it happen. It turned out really good and alot of the Super Hawk forum guys liked it as well. I've also seen a R1 with a R6 tail LOL!

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts
Interesting! Would have to mod the r1 exhaust since it comes out under the tail. Maybe it was a R6 with a R1 front end?
Nope it was a 2010 R1 LE Rossi Edition with a R6 tail section and a Graves low mount exhaust. This guy spent some serious cash my friend. I'll look for the thread.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts