Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was running pretty hard down the freeway and it threw a code 36 engine light came on and it's running on 3 cylinders. 36 says it's coil #4 open circuit. I did break that while doing a plug change and bought another off of here. Could the coil of went or what else could be?

·
Meh
9,231 Posts
Might just be that you didn't get the coil fully clipped onto the spark plug and it popped the rest of the way off. If it's throwing a code for something for the coil, and it's running on 3 cyclinders, there's probably something wrong with the coil. :laugh

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the downloaded service manual and cant find anything about diagnostic mode. Would like to get a better understand of how to use it and what the numbers mean. I know on 62 thats how clear old codes. Other then that i dont know much about it. #39 says its for cylinder 4 but the code it throws is 36 for open circuit on ignition coil #4. I put it on 39 and flick the killswitch and the engine light flashes 5 times the same it does for the other 3 cylinders. So does that mean the coil is firing like it should?

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Figured id get a little more help on this. I cant be the only one thats ever had this problem. Past swapping the coils im not sure what else to do besides check the ecu to make sure it didnt go bad. Stressing the hell out

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So ive heard more then a few times now that the only way to fix this problem is to buy new coils and an ecu. I hope thats not the case. I just ohm tested the coils though. 1-3 were all between spec on primary and secondary readings. Number 4 read .5ohm on primary which spec is 1.19 to 1.6 and it read 5.6 on secondary which spec is 8.5 to 11.5. Hopefully thats the problem

·
....Casper....
720 Posts
New coil same code. FmL
good news is that shit was bad either way. :secret

if you have a power commander go through and unplug each of the harness plugs for it and check the terminals, i had a bad connection in one of them on my 05 that had built up corrosion and would intermittently put me on the side of the road with 6 CEL on. easy enough to pull the tank unplug and check em out. just look for one of the pins to be dark sooty color instead of shiny clean.

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good news is that shit was bad either way. :secret

if you have a power commander go through and unplug each of the harness plugs for it and check the terminals, i had a bad connection in one of them on my 05 that had built up corrosion and would intermittently put me on the side of the road with 6 CEL on. easy enough to pull the tank unplug and check em out. just look for one of the pins to be dark sooty color instead of shiny clean.
I dont have a PC. Running an ECU flash. Gonna do a volt check on the coil harness and if its bad ill inspect it. Then send my ecu to the flash guy as he is the closest to me that can tell me if my ecu is bad

·
Registered
547 Posts
volt check on the coil harness and if its bad ill inspect it
That's what I was just going to suggest you do. Check for continuity and if possible what kind of voltage your getting from the harness clip as compared to the others. Can't do that too much though, you don't want to wash your cylinder walls too much if the motor has to be running.

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No motor hasnt been running. You dont need to have it running to check. You can put it in Diag mode and have it flash power to the coil. It does it 5 times on each coil. So i can out the volt meter in the harness plug and have diag mode put power to that coil. See what it reads for output compared to the other 3

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well then I learned something, I haven't had to go into Diag mode yet.(knock on wood) That should help tremendously though. If the harness' output is the same across the board then I'd see if you can check if the harness for the injectors are all good and if their is anything in Diag mode to see if all 8 are running properly.

Side note: If you have a friend with the same year could you maybe throw your ECU in his/hers and she if it runs?

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont have anyone around me that has my bike or else i would. Thats why i said im mailing it to ohio since he has an 07 and if it checks out good hes gonna tweak it for me. If it were an injector issue it would throw a code pertaining to them. My code is specific to ignition coil #4. Its the only code it throws and the only one in the code history

·
Registered
547 Posts
Gotcha I was just trying to see if you could get an answer now instead of waiting until it gets to Ohio. As for the injectors that is true totally forgot about that. Umm well if the harness checks out ok then really all that's left is the ECU or a fouled spark plug.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.