Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, my temperature sensor was giving me a false reading. While riding, it appeared to be reporting the outside temperature and not the engine temperature. It was reporting roughly 68-70 F. I tried turning off the bike and turning it back on to see whether the sensor would change. That's when it reported 250!

I went to eat at a restaurant for about 45 minutes, came back and rode it back home on the highway. Stayed at around 168 F because it was at night. I have searched the forum and noticed the fan actually turns on at 208 (or was it 212). I turned the bike on in the garage and waited till it got to 220 degrees and BOTH fans did not turn on.

Here are my questions before I go diagnosing:

1. There are two 15A fuses for the radiator fans. Assuming only one is out, shouldn't the other fan still come on? I find it very unlikely that both of them would go out, unless both 15A fuses need to be operational.

2. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Apart from the information above, the only other mentionable events are I installed HID a week ago with no issues and I washed my bike several hours before riding it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Put the bike into diagnostic mode for diagnostic code no. 51, radiator fan motor relay. Passed it.

Edit: Read the manual a bit more and noticed that when you press "Reset", it changes to the air intake temperature. That would explain the outside temperature.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
when you test the circuit does the fans come on at all? I know my 03 does.
you can test them by hooking them straight to a 12v power source.

I suspect you have one of two things going on, the temp sensor isn't working or the wires to the fans have a defect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The circuit hasn't been tested yet. I'm at my girlfriend's house and might need to lug the portable power supply for that, unless there's an alternative to testing the fans? How easy is it to get to the fans and remove it? Does it require more work than just the lower and bottom cowlings?

I topped off the coolant today as I read on the boards not having the coolant topped off might prevent the sensor from working properly. Both fuses are fine. For safe measures, I changed them both anyways to no avail.

I'm probably leaning towards the temperature sensor. I know prior to getting the bike, the temperature sensor was changed. I hope this isn't an ongoing issue.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
The circuit hasn't been tested yet. I'm at my girlfriend's house and might need to lug the portable power supply for that, unless there's an alternative to testing the fans? How easy is it to get to the fans and remove it? Does it require more work than just the lower and bottom cowlings?

I topped off the coolant today as I read on the boards not having the coolant topped off might prevent the sensor from working properly. Both fuses are fine. For safe measures, I changed them both anyways to no avail.

I'm probably leaning towards the temperature sensor. I know prior to getting the bike, the temperature sensor was changed. I hope this isn't an ongoing issue.
diag test 51 makes the fan relay work. I'm almost positive if the relay is kicking on then the fans should work when it does.
my 03 service manual says the fan comes on in this test.
I would say it's safe to assume so should yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 2006 R6 fans come on at 212. for reference
That's the number I came across while searching this issue on the forums. I let it go up to about 225 just to be sure.

diag test 51 makes the fan relay work. I'm almost positive if the relay is kicking on then the fans should work when it does.
my 03 service manual says the fan comes on in this test.
I would say it's safe to assume so should yours.
I'll check again and try to listen more closely to the relay. Although, I believe the CEL is supposed to come on when the relay is out though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts