Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor blew in my 04 race bike. So i got a crashed 06 R6s with a good running motor. Took the motor out of the bike and then brought it to my local shop to do timing chains, timing guides, water pump and oil pump. Got the motor back and put it into my 04 frame. Figuring i could use the same computer and wiring. Well it wouldnt start once in my frame. so i grabed the computer out of the 06s and got it to run but like crap (pc3 still pluged in) so i unplugged the PC3 and just ran it on with the stock 06s computer. Now it has a code when you turn it on the oil light is on and the check engine light is on. Take it for a spin on the road runs fine (little down on power but it runs ok) rough idle which i assumed cause of all the mods done to it. Get to the track for the last race and get out there and the thing bucks and spits all the way around the track! so i bring it into the pits and plug the pc3 and it seems to pull strong around the pits (not really opening it up) get back out for next practise and the thing now dies when you open the throttle to full!!!!!! so i have to limp around the track and get it into the pits. I had to have all my races refunded cause the damn thing wont run. as soon as you open to full thorttle it fires (it seems) on one cyclinder and eventualy kills itself.

Now with doing this swap i have the 06s motor and ecu in the 04 bike now. Do i need to get the harness from the other bike (06s) to fix all the check lights on the dash and to make it run? Never done this swap before and i thought it was plug and play and off i go. :mad: or am i just missing something really easy

Before the old motor let go i had the tune done and it made 110hp and like 48 ft lb of tourqe.
does any one have an idea?

list of mods to motor,
O2 block offs
graves slide stops
graves stacks
BMC race filter
OPP carbon fiber superbike intake tube
Full Titanium TiForce exhaust
PC3 (plugged in curently)
EBC race clutch
And the bike see nothing but VP SB 100 for fuel

·
CCS #164
404 Posts
take it back to your shop. sounds like timing/ignition issue.
yeah if you have the 06 ecu, 06 motor and 06 TBs... it would leave the timing chain/guide/ignition assuming the rest of the motor is in good working condition and the TBs are clean. run a TPS diag from your cluster and post your readings also...

did coils come with the 06 engine? or are you using the 04 coils?

I suppose it could also be that you just need a highly customized pc3 map... like you said, you have quite a few mods

as for the CEL and oil light, they could have messed something up with the 2 pumps they replaced. sounds like a shitty shop to be honest

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah sucks cause they are good friends. but yeah the motor ran in the donor bike and did a nice smoke show! so i know the motor was running like a top in the crashed bike. tb, coils every thing is from the 06. i am going to change the wiring harness tomorrow night. and try to put pics up (never have before and most likley cant do it)

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the other thing i noticed is the 04 airbox has a different sensor, which would be the cause of the 22 code that pops up when you start the bike....right?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
has any one had an issue with running the graves slide stops?
with side stops you have to use the part in the fuel pressure regulator and the pc3.
if you don't have that piece for the pressure regulator that could be causing your problem.

the r6s is supposed to be the same bike as a 03/04. I'm surprised you are finding so many differences with things.

example would be the intake temp sensor in the airbox. should be the exact same as yours.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Are you using the 06' fuel pump?
Not the oil pump 100% positive on that. I have an 09 fuel pump in my 03 and they are identical not one thing is different other than the fact the out of my 03 was discolored and not bright white anymore like the 09. Same exact Denso pump. Not the pump don't waste your time.

So why was the motor smoking in the donor bike, that right there makes me think you might not have wanted to start it just yet, you might have bent a rod becuase unless you have the AIS removed the onlything that would cause smoke is oil in your combustion chamber. Hope you didn't bend something cranking it over that first time, which is a possibility.

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not the oil pump 100% positive on that. I have an 09 fuel pump in my 03 and they are identical not one thing is different other than the fact the out of my 03 was discolored and not bright white anymore like the 09. Same exact Denso pump. Not the pump don't waste your time.

So why was the motor smoking in the donor bike, that right there makes me think you might not have wanted to start it just yet, you might have bent a rod becuase unless you have the AIS removed the onlything that would cause smoke is oil in your combustion chamber. Hope you didn't bend something cranking it over that first time, which is a possibility.
by smoke i mean smoking the tire off....the motor ran fine other wise and it turned out to be a low mile bike... what would make the oil light on the dash blink...

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with side stops you have to use the part in the fuel pressure regulator and the pc3.
if you don't have that piece for the pressure regulator that could be causing your problem.

the r6s is supposed to be the same bike as a 03/04. I'm surprised you are finding so many differences with things.

example would be the intake temp sensor in the airbox. should be the exact same as yours.
yeah cause all the part numbers are same. there are like two sensors in there. but the guy who own the bike before me (with the original motor still running in it) was a complete hack. so i am just getting everything situated.

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
took the old harness out and put the one from the donor bike in. i cant believe the thing ran for two seasons. so does anyone know to pics up so i can show you all what i am talking about?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
took the old harness out and put the one from the donor bike in. i cant believe the thing ran for two seasons. so does anyone know to pics up so i can show you all what i am talking about?
click the "go advanced" button or "quote" a post button.
now a little furthur down the page is another button called "manage attachments"
this will allow you to upload pics to this forum

if you need to resize a picture and use xp there is a program called picture resizer it's a xp power toy. which you can download from microsoft. it's great because all you have to do is right click a picture and choose it's size.
(I promise this is a safe download from microsoft)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

if you have vista or 7 you can download Prish image resizer which does the same thing
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...A/32bit_PrishResizer_2519.msi?download&psid=1

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
click the "go advanced" button or "quote" a post button.
now a little furthur down the page is another button called "manage attachments"
this will allow you to upload pics to this forum

if you need to resize a picture and use xp there is a program called picture resizer it's a xp power toy. which you can download from microsoft. it's great because all you have to do is right click a picture and choose it's size.
(I promise this is a safe download from microsoft)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

if you have vista or 7 you can download Prish image resizer which does the same thing
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com...A/32bit_PrishResizer_2519.msi?download&psid=1
i hope this worked

Attachments

·
LRRS/CCS #223
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
first pic is the bike all together. second pic is the air box that was in the bike minus the stacks. notice where the airbox sensor should go and what sensor is in it. then near the back some other sensor that goes no where. the third pic is the new air box with correct sensor and stacks. four is the intake :) the last photo is from my bore camera. this pic is of the 3rd piston on my 04 motor. and the reason for the swap.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts