Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new Yamaha R6..

I like the body styling from 2006 & up, but I know there were some engine changes in 2008 that were made. How are the 2006/2007 bikes? Reliable? I don't plan on going crazy or racing, just driving to/from work, some canyons, etc.

Please don't try to tell me to get an FZ09 or some other bike for commuting, I have only ever ridden sportbikes, just been wanting to try an R6.

What are the 06/07's worth these days? What is TOO many miles for a used bike?

Thanks!

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
Fz09

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
^^ LOL ..

lots and lots of threads on this subject. The engines are nearly identical from 06-current, it's the variable velocity stacks that gave it more midrange HP. Gonna pay a bit more for 08-current all things equal obviously. An 03-05 is a very very good bike, and no TI valves to worry about, and amazing midrange (way more than the 06-07) so a good commuter (but is any sport bike a good commuter?)

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,489 Posts
Looking for a new Yamaha R6..

I like the body styling from 2006 & up, but I know there were some engine changes in 2008 that were made. How are the 2006/2007 bikes? Reliable? I don't plan on going crazy or racing, just driving to/from work, some canyons, etc.

Please don't try to tell me to get an FZ09 or some other bike for commuting, I have only ever ridden sportbikes, just been wanting to try an R6.

What are the 06/07's worth these days? What is TOO many miles for a used bike?

Thanks!
They are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for them. They only have too many miles if the buyer thinks they have too many miles.

Seriously, most bikes are wrecked LONG before there is any real mechanical failure, and price comes down to your location. One guy on here has 275k miles on his Honda f4i. I have about 40k VERY abusive miles on my r6, and it still runs like a champ. I am sure there are other people with mileage numbers that just blow mine out of the water. If it is maintained, it will last a long ass time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, so I guess i could be open to a 2006/2007 model. I dont want the earlier generation, I dislike the styling! I don't have a long commute, which is a plus, its only a couple miles, but I still manage to ride ALOT.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
if you can swing it, pony up for the 08. It will get more at resale too... but it's not my money i'm trying to get you to spend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im looking at a clean 2007 in the morning probably. What does it take to get the 08+ fairings to fit on the 2007?

What all cosmetically is different?

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
Im looking at a clean 2007 in the morning probably. What does it take to get the 08+ fairings to fit on the 2007?

What all cosmetically is different?
They haven't figured it all out yet. The bike changes were only made in 2008, so they're still figuring out the differences. I'm sure one day the info will be out there, and you could just search and see what the differences are. But it's only been 6 years.

Well, ok, on a more serious note...

As much as I want to laugh at somebody that wants to buy a bike based on looks, I gotta give you some credit. The 2nd gen R6 is just fugly. Like, really fugly. None of it flows, none of it really goes together well. The 3rd gen R6's look a million times better. Being in track form helps hide some of the ugliness, but it's still pretty fugly. So with that being said, I really can't blame you for wanting a 3rd gen, as much as I want to poke fun at you for buying a certain bike because of the looks.

From what I gather from reading your posts, the 06-07 will suite you fine, as you don't care about the benefits of the 08 and newer models.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They haven't figured it all out yet. The bike changes were only made in 2008, so they're still figuring out the differences. I'm sure one day the info will be out there, and you could just search and see what the differences are. But it's only been 6 years.

As much as I want to laugh at somebody that wants to buy a bike based on looks, I gotta give you some credit. The 2nd gen R6 is just fugly. Like, really fugly. None of it flows, none of it really goes together well. The 3rd gen R6's look a million times better. Being in track form helps hide some of the ugliness, but it's still pretty fugly. So with that being said, I really can't blame you for wanting a 3rd gen, as much as I want to poke fun at you for buying a certain bike because of the looks.

From what I gather from reading your posts, the 06-07 will suite you fine, as you don't care about the benefits of the 08 and newer models.
I have searched & can not find any information in whether the newer fairings fit the 2006/2007

·
Meh
9,231 Posts

You shut your whore mouth! The 2nd gen R6s look great. I'd way rather ride one of them than a GSXR.

OP, try to get an '08 if you can. The extra mid-range will make it better for the streets. (But not as good as a BEAUTIFUL 2nd gen though.) ;)

I'd way rather rock the FZ09 as a commuter though. That thing looks like a blast. One of our local track day orgs is sponsored by Yamaha and they have one in their fleet. They refer to it as the 'factory stunt bike' because they can't help but wheelie the thing all over the place. Gets down pretty good on the track too.

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
You shut your whore mouth! The 2nd gen R6s look great. I'd way rather ride one of them than a GSXR.

OP, try to get an '08 if you can. The extra mid-range will make it better for the streets. (But not as good as a BEAUTIFUL 2nd gen though.) ;)

I'd way rather rock the FZ09 as a commuter though. That thing looks like a blast. One of our local track day orgs is sponsored by Yamaha and they have one in their fleet. They refer to it as the 'factory stunt bike' because they can't help but wheelie the thing all over the place. Gets down pretty good on the track too.
:****

·
Registered
210 Posts
I own a "07" that has all 08/09 body work and a 09 motor in it. I bought it as an 07 then very quickly found out the fairings are 08/09 so I took a peak under the tank and wouldn't you know it has a 09 motor in it. So from what I see looking at my bike the 08/09 bodywork bolts right up. You just need the 08/09 tank subframe and front fairing stay. Once you have those the body work will bolt right on.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's not worth the work, they are not a straight swap. If you like the way the 08+ looks just get that. Or buy an 06/07 and paint it.
Ya I was gonna say, counting the front end (the mini running light, the mirrors, windscreen), slightly different tank, side fairing and tail, it is just not worth it. Either deal with the 06-07 as is or just go ahead and get the 08 (which will have better resale anyways). Just my opinion though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.