Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, if anyone here can help me out with this, i will appreciate it.
I have a 06 (06/07 model) R6R, when I bought the bike last year I noticed that the ignition switch gave me problems getting the bike from off to lock, lock to off, off to on rotation. I tried to use WD-40 a couple of times to kinda see if it loosened up.

The guy who sold me the bike just gave me an on key (black key, which says yamaha). This morning I went out to hit my weekly dose of canyoning on my beautiful Puerto Rico (guys you should check PR). When I started the bike, I dialed in my preference on the steering damper, as I do usually depending on the path im going to take. I dont recall if when i was setting my damper the jacket got stuck with the key (on the ignition). But the next thing i see is my key on the floor and the bike was still ON. I was like WTF*, I didn't think that was supposed to happen.

I don't know if this is the result of someone tampering with my ignition, or if this has happened before to any of you. I just want to know if anyone can suggest or give me any feedback at what could/is the problem; and how i should deal with it.

Regards, Charlie

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
50 views and no one has a clue?

I will post what i have found to help others in the future.

I will go to a locksmith to check out if a new key will do it, since my key looks pretty worn out. The other thing I found on the web, was trying graphite spray to loosen up the tumblers. They don't recommend using WD-40 since it's a water repellent base, which will attract more dust; which @ the end bring you more problems.

·
Laugh now, cry later
1,027 Posts
Shouldn't not do this, even with an old key...

When the key is turned ON, a mecanism in the ignition is supposed to block it.

Try it with a new key, you'll never know. But from my point of view, your whole ignition seems f**ked up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts