Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am possibly purchasing a 07 R6 next week (5,100 street miles on it)that I will turn into a track day, and future race bike. I was wondering if there is a best year or even better year R6 than the 07 for a pure race bike. I read that in 2008 engine compression was increased to 13:1 and a chip controlled intake was added. Is there a noticable difference between the years or even newer years? Would it be wise to build the build the 07 or should I look for something newer? I just don't want to waste any time or money. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I was doing some more research and pretty much decided the 08+ is the way to go. With the engine changes from 07 it would be a good choice but really the deciding factor is that looking at some parts sites the years are grouped 06-07 and 08-14, much rather have a bike I can more easily find parts for.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Having an 07 that I turned into a trackbike, I would say stick with the 08-14. Not a huge issue, but when combined with the fact that the 08-14 is just a little bit better all around makes it a no brainer.

There are a couple things that really stand out when it comes to buying aftermarket/track related stuff: Bodywork, forks, spares like subframes and tanks. Finding stuff for ANY model that was only made for two years can be a little troublesome, but isn't that bad with an R6 due to the popularity of the bike.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Buy a built race bike.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I am possibly purchasing a 07 R6 next week (5,100 street miles on it)that I will turn into a track day, and future race bike. I was wondering if there is a best year or even better year R6 than the 07 for a pure race bike. I read that in 2008 engine compression was increased to 13:1 and a chip controlled intake was added. Is there a noticable difference between the years or even newer years? Would it be wise to build the build the 07 or should I look for something newer? I just don't want to waste any time or money. Thanks!
Just saw this. :bowroll:bowroll:bowroll:bowroll

Dude, every dollar spent on track days/racing is wasted money. I hate to tell you. It's a huge black hole that will take everything you own if you let it.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
there are a lot of "non-visible" changes to the 08+ chassis that can be very advantageous when you get going a little faster on the racetrack. i suggest finding yourself a newer bike than the 06-07s. There's not TOO much of a price difference there.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Take a pile of $100 bills and pile 'em up in your driveway. Pour some lighter fluid on them and light them on fire. That's about the same thing as racing motorcycles!

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I bought built and track my 07. It's expensive building a race bike but damn it's rewarding. I'm a gearhead so building it up was just as fun as tracking it. You will never ever get your money back out of a track bike. I stopped counting at $10k invested into track days. And that's from a broke kids build.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Just keep in mind as you are budgeting stuff; every dollar you spend comes out of your tire budget. I tended to think of things in terms of tires. If a certain part cost 2.5 tire sets, I had to decide if it was worth it, or not. Some things are worth what they cost in tire dollars....some things are not.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Buy the newest one you can afford.
Not totally true, but take this into consideration as well.

Only race a bike you're willing to walk away from if you catastrophically wad it up. It is a very real possibility that you may destroy a bike and if you cannot bear the financial risk, think carefully. Otherwise, get an 08+ and ride the hell out of it.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Not totally true, but take this into consideration as well.

Only race a bike you're willing to walk away from if you catastrophically wad it up. It is a very real possibility that you may destroy a bike and if you cannot bear the financial risk, think carefully. Otherwise, get an 08+ and ride the hell out of it.
Very, very sound advice...

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Just saw this. :bowroll:bowroll:bowroll:bowroll

Dude, every dollar spent on track days/racing is wasted money. I hate to tell you. It's a huge black hole that will take everything you own if you let it.
Psh, I wouldn't call taking all of my money and turning it into joy 'wasted'. What the hell else are you gonna do with it?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
What? The 08 and 09 have the same part # for the air box! And the ECU shouldn't be an issue, because you'd want to re-flash it anyway. IF there is any difference, the re-flash would negate it.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Elaborate on this please?

08 & 09 have the best air box. It has better flow and puts down slightly better numbers.

So a 10+ r6 is great, but if you're trying to squeeze every last drop out of it you'd want the top half of an 08-09 airbox. The bottom half is the same. This is splitting hairs at this point, but I guess to a super competitive racer running race gas and ceramic bearings etc, the little things matter a bit more.

:YEA

·
Registered
672 Posts
08+ with 09 airbox and 2012-2014 ecu
08 & 09 have the best air box. It has better flow and puts down slightly better numbers.

So a 10+ r6 is great, but if you're trying to squeeze every last drop out of it you'd want the top half of an 08-09 airbox. The bottom half is the same. This is splitting hairs at this point, but I guess to a super competitive racer running race gas and ceramic bearings etc, the little things matter a bit more.

But why 12-14 ecu? flashing the ecu is a given these days...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
But why 12-14 ecu? flashing the ecu is a given these days...

08+ ecu's put down the same numbers. I prefer the v2.x flash on the 2012+ only. Previous years I've had too much inconsistency. And as you know the V2.x setup allows some finer tuning per gear etc. But IMO 08+ ecu's all are totally fine. Per gear per rpm fine tuning on the engine braking side of things could eventually result in a better setup per track etc. But I haven't found the need for getting that deep into the fine tuning once I've replicated the same results and feel on 08-11 ecus in the 12+'s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts