Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was putting in my new flush mounts I noticed that my coolant reservoir was low. After thinking about it for a few days, I decided that since I had no idea what the previous owner did or did not do I would flush the system and put new coolant in.

I took off the right side fairings so I had an easy space to work with. I first took off the radiator cap, and then unscrewed the coolant drain plug. After letting that drain, I ran distilled water through the radiator to flush the system. I also took off the reservoir to clean that out. I filled the radiator with distilled water and let it run until just before the fans kicked on. I drained that, and I was good to put in the new coolant. I put the .25 Liters into the reservoir and then went to put the 2.30 Liters in the radiator but it only took 2 Liters before it began to overflow.

I turned the bike on and let it run with the cap off to let the air bubbles escape. During this time, quite a bit of coolant spilled onto the ground. When that stopped, I turned the bike off and put the top back on. I then let the bike run some more and I noted that the reservoir was completely drained. I thought since the radiator only took about 2 Liters plus the .25 Liters that was in the reservoir maybe that would make up close to the 2.30 Liters needed for the radiator so as long as I filled the reservoir back up I would be alright. I filled the reservoir back up with .25 Liters of coolant. I ran the bike, turned it off, walked away, and when I came back no more than five minutes later, the reservoir was completely drained again. Could that be making up for the coolant that spilled while the air bubbles were being released? Should I fill the reservoir back up again with .25 Liters of coolant and see what happens? Is it possible to overfill it? I don't want to ruin anything here, thank you in advance for any help you provide.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
When I was putting in my new flush mounts I noticed that my coolant reservoir was low. After thinking about it for a few days, I decided that since I had no idea what the previous owner did or did not do I would flush the system and put new coolant in.

I took off the right side fairings so I had an easy space to work with. I first took off the radiator cap, and then unscrewed the coolant drain plug. After letting that drain, I ran distilled water through the radiator to flush the system. I also took off the reservoir to clean that out. I filled the radiator with distilled water and let it run until just before the fans kicked on. I drained that, and I was good to put in the new coolant. I put the .25 Liters into the reservoir and then went to put the 2.30 Liters in the radiator but it only took 2 Liters before it began to overflow.

I turned the bike on and let it run with the cap off to let the air bubbles escape. During this time, quite a bit of coolant spilled onto the ground. When that stopped, I turned the bike off and put the top back on. I then let the bike run some more and I noted that the reservoir was completely drained. I thought since the radiator only took about 2 Liters plus the .25 Liters that was in the reservoir maybe that would make up close to the 2.30 Liters needed for the radiator so as long as I filled the reservoir back up I would be alright. I filled the reservoir back up with .25 Liters of coolant. I ran the bike, turned it off, walked away, and when I came back no more than five minutes later, the reservoir was completely drained again. Could that be making up for the coolant that spilled while the air bubbles were being released? Should I fill the reservoir back up again with .25 Liters of coolant and see what happens? Is it possible to overfill it? I don't want to ruin anything here, thank you in advance for any help you provide.
i dont see why you are losing so much coolant, but you wont mess it up by overfilling because it will dump excess through the overflow anyways. Just start up your bike, wait 2-3 minutes, and slowly keep adding to your coolant reservoir untill its just below full.

·
Beats me...
46 Posts
i dont see why you are losing so much coolant, but you wont mess it up by overfilling because it will dump excess through the overflow anyways. Just start up your bike, wait 2-3 minutes, and slowly keep adding to your coolant reservoir untill its just below full.
Agreed, plus you have the engine which has coolant in it, that will use some.
Like he ^^ said it wont hurt it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just filled the reservoir again and ran the bike for about 8 minutes. While running the bike, the reservoir stayed at the "full" line. As soon as I turned it off, it sucked all the coolant out again. There is nothing leaking onto the floor of my garage.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I just filled the reservoir again and ran the bike for about 8 minutes. While running the bike, the reservoir stayed at the "full" line. As soon as I turned it off, it sucked all the coolant out again. There is nothing leaking onto the floor of my garage.
ok.. its sucking the entire reservoir dry? just keep filling at the reservoir and sooner or later it has to stop pulling from there, unless your leaking coolant somewhere or burning it up which you would know right away.

also,, have you made sure to screw the bleeder back in and use a washer? haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's all set now, I just had to keep filling the reservoir until it stopped sucking all of the coolant out. I just ran the bike, turned it off, and did not see any sudden change in coolant level. I'm going to let it sit over night and see where it's at in the morning. If all is well at that time, I'll run it again tomorrow one last time to make sure it's all set. Thanks for the help, I just wanted to make sure it couldn't be over-filled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts