Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my r6 is at 25k ryt now and recently she has started making a loud clunk and gives a jerk when i shift down to first gear from neutral only at idle... shifting down to 1st while the bike is rolling causes no sound at all...
but when shifting at idle the clunk and jerk is soo bad that other people at stop light notice the sound !! urg!! ... she did not use to do this before like never! the shifts used to be smooth as silk.
anyone has any experience with this ? how can i make the shift smooth again ?
i use the the regular 10w40 vavoline full synthetic motorcycle oil.
any suggestions how to deal with this i dont want my first gear to break!! :(

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
Mine has done the clunk N-1st stopped since new 23k miles ago. Rolling a few mph she drops in fine. The dog teeth sometimes allow or not the smooth shift. I start mine in gear to prevent 90% of my daily clunks. Since I only ride her I can start her up to 10 or 15 times a day.
Assuming your clutch is properly adjusted, is the feel notchy on release?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mordantly. thats a great idea to startt the bike in first gear itself to avoid clunking. Clutch seems to be fine as all the other gear shifting are smooth. even shifting to first gear is smooth when the bike is still rolling. its only when i am idling at stop lights it gives me a loud clunk and jerk.
i currently have exactly 3 qts of oil in it (and the dip stick is at 3/4ths upto the etching) and i have heard it can take upto 3.2 - 3.3 quarts. i am thinking to add that 0.2-0.3 quarts in her to see how she reacts.
Also if i dont see any change in the clunk i will be switching over to Motul 300v synthetic oil and will see the results.. i am just thinking not having enough oil is the reason for the clunk.... not sure though... i will share my experience with oil changes here... any suggestions are welcome please

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
How often is the oil and filter changed? I'm thinking perhaps your discs or hub are grooved (happens to every clutch in use) enough to be not as smooth engagement as when new. If it's in the hash marks it is a perfectly acceptable level unless you ride wheelies for miles but then you either don't care or have a modified pan or pickup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh no no i only drive it in the city. i am a regular rider i use it to and fro from work thats all. no modification whatsoever. so u mean the oil level has nothing to do with the clunk ? The oil + filter is changed once every season/3000 miles. if the hub and discs are grooved then why are the other gear shifts smooth i am thinking.. but may be u r ryt...

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
670 Posts
Not from old, dirty oil here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts