Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering whose repaired the seat bolt inserts on their R6. I just had the insert spin on the second bolt, and will need to repair it before spring. The first one spun on me last year, and the bolts were never overtorqued. I'm wondering if there is a cleaner looking option than trying to put a rivnut in. I would like it to remain or at least look factory. Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't looked into it yet. I was planning on looking into it in around the end of the month, as the roads are still covered in snow here. I'm guessing rivnut is the only way to go at this point as nobody seems to know of a way to reinstall the factory style ones, and I don't trust the dealer here as they are more of a sled/boat place. If you come up with something, please let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the dealer can put in new ones
how much and how long would it take. I live in atlanta where there's bound to be one who would do it but I imagine their pretty far away so I wouldn't want to haul it 45min, leave it there, and then have to come back and pick it up...

·
Registered
243 Posts
how much and how long would it take. I live in atlanta where there's bound to be one who would do it but I imagine their pretty far away so I wouldn't want to haul it 45min, leave it there, and then have to come back and pick it up...
shouldnt be more than a 15-20min job
dril out the old one
insert nwe rivnut and use rivnut tool to install

·
I am the vanilla gorilla
181 Posts
You can always use a set of vise grips to get the old bolts out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
UPDATE: (note, I have 03 r6)
So mine broke when screwing the bolt back in and I was able to hacksaw it off. I ripped out the old bolt and rivnut with vise grips (not recommended, it made the hole larger).

waited for the new stainless! rivnuts (M6 x 1.00 fromebay) and then fashioned a makeshift tool using parts from old r6 hardware:

and then screwed it in

was going to paint it black but the old looked worse so one day I may drill it out and replace with stainless also

It took less time to install the rivnut than it used to take for me to get the bolts in by hand!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts