Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a amature racer that has not been on the track for years. I am going to put on a 520 chain and sprocket set and I was wondering how many teeth show I put on? I know this has been asked a billion times and it all goes down to the track. I will be racing mostly summit point and VIR. Most people will tell me 15/45 or 46. However, I am sure that these answers are from experts that know how to go fast. Since I am a slow old guy shouldn't I go for a higher rear? Something like a 15/48 so I can have the low end for all of the mistakes I am going to make?

Also since the R6 has a slipper clutch does that mean no need to learn how to blip the throttle and just downshift?

·
Registered
26 Posts
you still need to learn to blip the throttle on downshifts. the slipper helps with the downshifts but it does not completely eliminate the difference. I use my downshifting as my rear brake on the track.

i currently have a 15/47 setup and I am by no means a pro or expert. I will be doing my 3rd trackday tomorrow. I stayed with 114 links on the chain.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I would be better to go with a 14/44 instead of a 15/48. It will wear the sprockets slightly faster, but it will mess with the suspension less coming out of corners. What does an 06 come with stock?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts