Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Next Mod, Engine!Roll On!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the airbox mod on my 06. Since I had a YEC ECU(reflashed), the parts I got were:

1. Complete airbox assembly
2. Fuel tank + tank cover + tank side panels
3. Fuel Pump
4. Throttle bodies including hoses
5. Ram Air Duct with the extra sensor
6. Complete Wire Harness(must be with the headlight harness due to the extra sensor mentioned above)

I guess the most difficult part was removing the stock wire harness and having to mount and route correctly the 08 one. Not too tricky, but what I did realize is that the battery tray must be different from 06 to 08 as I had to mount the ECU upside down for the plugs to fit, so the ECU is currently not fit, but it hasnt got much space to move, so I m not bothered about it.

All in all it was a pretty straightforward swap, put the stuff in proreply and just start it up.

From the seat of the pants it does look as though the lower midrange got a boost(up until 10k rpm I would say) but I ll have some definite results when I dyno it.

Rider's seat aligns ok with the different curve of the 08 tank, I had read some comments about it and expected to have a problem but it does fit up nicely.

That's all! Trackday time in less than 2 months!

Attachments

·
Love livin to ride!
410 Posts
Yea I never heard of this mod either... Pro's of this mod would be what???

·
Gotta get up to get down.
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Basically the 06 and 08 engine are pretty much the same. The mayor difference in the 08 is the air intake system. So technically putting the 08 air intake system in the 06 you would make it gain that mid range the 08 has and the 06 lacks

·
Love livin to ride!
410 Posts
So how significant is the difference for low n mid range torque?

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most expensive part ofcourse is the tank, I did sell though mine and bought a used one, just had to repaint it...

I would expect that, up until the point where the funnels lift, to see an increase in HP but I ll only know definitely when I dyno it. Good thing about the bike is that in all the times it's been dynoed, different seasons and different drums, it has produced the same peak HP with 99% the same power curve. So I m expecting the end result to really reflect the potential of these. I just hope it's not all in my mind, otherwise I just spent time and money on something not worth a penny!! LOL!

·
Love livin to ride!
410 Posts
How much did it end up costing and when do you plan to dyno it?

·
Gotta get up to get down.
1,117 Posts
post dyno results fo sho

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought the throttle bodies and airbox from a member here(snowbizx) through ebay for 170$ plus the shipping cost to Greece

Wire harness was at 100$, fuel pump at 70$, ram air duct 50$, fuel tank 300$

Sold my tank for 400$ so all in all didnt cost me that much

Dyno will be sometime on March, waiting for some temp in the 20s(Celsius) and I m off

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Basically the 06 and 08 engine are pretty much the same. The mayor difference in the 08 is the air intake system. So technically putting the 08 air intake system in the 06 you would make it gain that mid range the 08 has and the 06 lacks
That's pretty cool that you did all this! I woulda went the opposite route, and got the graves velocity stacks and kit ECU. They claim like 10 HP with them and the yec box. Fcuk the bottom end when you can capitalize on what the motor does best! :lmao

But I will say that it's a pretty cool feeling when the velocity stacks switch in the high RPM's. Kinda reminds me of my VTEC GS-R I had.

Don't the stacks switch at like 13,700 RPM or something really high? I'm anxious to see what kinda difference this makes for you. The 08 peak torque hits 1000 RPM's earlier than the 06-07.. But the increase in torque on the 08 is also due to a bump in compression, and minor changes is cam degreeing/timing.. The YCCI stacks aren't the only piece to the puzzle

·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In theory, the V stacks are supposed to deliver the benefits of both options. Power up high and in the midrange, as opposed to a fixed height. I had the 06 07 YEC stacks and they delivered absolutely NOTHING!! Waste of money

Theoretically I should see some gains on paper, otherwise you could label it as a marketing trick. And I guess what I did is more reliable than comparing on dyno a stock 06 to a stock 08

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
In theory, the V stacks are supposed to deliver the benefits of both options. Power up high and in the midrange, as opposed to a fixed height. I had the 06 07 YEC stacks and they delivered absolutely NOTHING!! Waste of money

Theoretically I should see some gains on paper, otherwise you could label it as a marketing trick. And I guess what I did is more reliable than comparing on dyno a stock 06 to a stock 08
I hear ya. I just think that the vast majority of the additional power made on the 08 is from the compression bump and cam timing changes. The stacks are just a little icing on the cake. Subb'd for dyno results

1 - 20 of 35 Posts