Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had any trouble with their 08 r6? I bought mine a month ago...I just hit 400 miles on it today. However, (ya I know, theres always a however) when I was riding (and Ive been babying it since its still breaking in...nothing over 8k rpms) I felt a *pop* when I pulled the clutch in at a stop sign. Im not a big guy or I didnt even do pull it in fast or hard...so now the clutch disengages about an inch or two later than it normally does.

I now cant pull the clutch in with two fingers because the clutch will hit my other fingers holding onto the handlebar. Im taking it in to the dealer tomorrow, hoping the warranty will cover whatever it is...but I thought Id ask to see if anyone has had the same problem and what it might be.

Just in case some of you are trying to figure it out, Im able to fully disengage the clutch but I have to pull the clutch lever all the way to the handlebar grip. I was going to a friends house when it happened and I was able to drive it home by pulling it all the way in.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know when I find out the problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you try adjusting the clutch?
Well I thought about that...but if its a more serious problem...I dont want to continue riding if Im wearing out parts or something. I could try adjusting it, but like I said, I did feel a *pop* and I checked the cable and all of that looks fine, but I dont want to be riding around and have something wear out because I didnt fix this problem now when its under warranty.

Im pretty sure its not something simple as the clutch just needing adjustment because of the pop.

Thanks for your reply and thoughts though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much play is there in the lever now?
about and inch and a half or two inches from squeezing the lever until I feel the stiffness of the clutch. The lever does not reset itself either. If I let go of the lever, it stops and theres about a quarter of an inch between the lever and the black casing (dont know what else to call it) I can see the cable. Normally the lever has enough spring that it closes that gap and fits nicely back to the black housing.

Thanks again for reading.

·
the R demands respect....
1,209 Posts
adjust it.

sounds like when the dealer put the biike together, the cable was bound up a bit.

just adjust the clutch lever a rotation maybe.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i run about 1/3" play at the end of the lever, some use less, but its just how i like the feel to be.
dont adjust it to tight so that there isnt any play in the lever, otherwise the clutch wont fully engage w/ the lever out.
remember all cables, clutch and throttle, as well as the chain will stretch as time goes on, its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i run about 1/3" play at the end of the lever, some use less, but its just how i like the feel to be.
dont adjust it to tight so that there isnt any play in the lever, otherwise the clutch wont fully engage w/ the lever out.
remember all cables, clutch and throttle, as well as the chain will stretch as time goes on, its perfectly normal.
I realize things stretch...but I only have 400 miles on her...I wouldnt think it'd stretch that much that quickly.

Thanks guys for all your input. If any of you are in Cincinnati I'll buy you a beer =)

I tightened the clutch adjustment screw and the lever feels tight again. (I did leave some free play so the clutch can fully engage.) I had to turn the screw one and a half full turns. I can see 4 threads on the adjusting screw, is this ok?

I'll try this tomorrow and see how she feels.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
I realize things stretch...but I only have 400 miles on her...I wouldnt think it'd stretch that much that quickly.

Thanks guys for all your input. If any of you are in Cincinnati I'll buy you a beer =)

I tightened the clutch adjustment screw and the lever feels tight again. (I did leave some free play so the clutch can fully engage.) I had to turn the screw one and a half full turns. I can see 4 threads on the adjusting screw, is this ok?

I'll try this tomorrow and see how she feels.
actually the most stretching will occur in the first 200-500 miles or so.
also look out for fasteners loosening up, the vibrations from the bike can cause things to work themselves loose, especially in the bikes first 1000 miles.

as for the adjuster showing more threads, that is perfectly normal, there should be at least another 1/3" or so of threads still in the clutch perch, as well as an adjuster on the clutch actuator arm on the clutch cover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
im having problems with my 08 r6 clutch too. im at about 2500 miles and my clutch extends almost all the way out before it starts to engage. ive heard of alot of ppl having the same problem with the 08 R6. anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
im having problems with my 08 r6 clutch too. im at about 2500 miles and my clutch extends almost all the way out before it starts to engage. ive heard of alot of ppl having the same problem with the 08 R6. anyone have any thoughts?
thats normal...so you can shift with the quickness!

·
Registered
592 Posts
+1 on the adjustment, I have made 3 small adjustments on my 08 that has right at 900 miles on it. I started racing FZR 600's starting with the 89 year model,its was the same with them too. Agree with the previous poster that mentioned that the most streching of cables happens early in their life spans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts