Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the best "all around" gear choice is. I'm not looking to change gearing for every different track that I do track days at, I just want a happy median. I'm am running a 15-47 (-1 and +2) on it now. I was talking to the dunlop guy at the last track event and he said he runs stock gearing on his 07 track bike.

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
I'm -1 in front on my stunt bike.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
-1 / +2 is a pretty standard gearing setup for track bikes. If you're not running out of gear on any of the tracks you run, stick with it.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i'm not sure where the -1/+2 thing that street riders seem to prefer found it's way to track bikes.. it's not ideal, especially with the 3rd gen bike. Stock gearing is the best starting point for many tracks, but not every track.

Gearing is also dependent on many things like your lap times, horesepower of your bike, and even tire size. But the 3rd gen bike engineers put lots of thought into the final drive ratio choice.. and 16/45 was it. It was even a major debate with them on weather to use 45 or 46.. but 15/47? perhaps at a go-kart track .

Many tracks you use 2nd through 5th gear too. There is NOT always a need to gear a bike for 6th gear.

There is no perfect gearing. Gear your bike so you get the best drive out of most of the corners. in FL myself and some others use roughly 16/45 at JEnningsGP, 16/46 at Homestead, about that for Roebling road, etc.

Again, your gearing may vary, but STOCK gearing will get you in the ballpark more times than not..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I was wondering what the best "all around" gear choice is. I'm not looking to change gearing for every different track that I do track days at, I just want a happy median. I'm am running a 15-47 (-1 and +2) on it now. I was talking to the dunlop guy at the last track event and he said he runs stock gearing on his 07 track bike.
Why are you unhappy with your current gearing?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not unhappy with the current gearing, It's just i rarely get into the lower gears on the track and I'm almost at the rev limiter at the end of the straight at Summit Point Main. I was just shooting the shit with the Dunlop tire guy at the last track day and he had mentioned he was running stock gearing on his bike, so it got me thinking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am running -1 +2 and I like it. I can pull most other 600's coming out of turns at the same speed. I have never topped out the bike and I have ridden on Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, and Thunderhill. I don't see a need for higher gearing yet and I usually stay between 2nd and 4th gears.

·
Ride Safely
1,399 Posts
I am running -1 +2 and I like it. I can pull most other 600's coming out of turns at the same speed. I have never topped out the bike and I have ridden on Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, and Thunderhill. I don't see a need for higher gearing yet and I usually stay between 2nd and 4th gears.
:fact ^^^^

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
...It's just i rarely get into the lower gears on the track and I'm almost at the rev limiter at the end of the straight...
That's what I was asking; that's a reason to change your gearing selection.

You are geared too low. Maybe try going up one tooth in the front. Counter shaft sprockets aren't that expensive and you can probably re-use your chain as long as you have enough fore adjustment left.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Stock for me

·
Lol
127 Posts
-1/Stock for me!

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
My stunt bike is now running -1/+14.

·
Obama MUST go!!!
181 Posts
I currently have -1/+2 and it works great for the street and the smaller tracks. At Autoclub Speedway however I was topping out at 135mph(speedo has been calibrated) on the strait away and holding the RPM's for a few seconds. Needless to say I'm ordering a new rear gear for that track/other larger tracks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts