Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, the names uchi. i just picked up an 08 r6 thats becoming my race bike for next year. i was doing some reading and it seems like some guys are able to pull out some nice numbers from these things but i didnt see a list of mods needed to make good power. shes got a graves slip on from what i can tell, havent pulled the body yet to see if theres a cat or anything on there, and that being said im not sure how to tell if its a stock header or not, and i used a flash tuned ecu as well, i believe the fellas name is toysrforboys that did the flash for me. pulled the restrictions, did whatever else he does to it. since this is a track bike and im used to riding a superbike id like to find some more power. can you guys guide me to a list of cheap mods to make some power. thinking it needs an air filter for sure, header if it doesnt have one, then a custom tune but im not sure what else i can do. with the stock ecu can my tuner bump the timing on the motor as well to squeeze out a little more power? from what i read these engines have knock sensors which would help with adding timing. anything else i need to know?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just poked my head under the bike. the exup servoe has been torn out, no cat or massive stock muffler, just the graves muffler and the header where it meets the muffler has a bung welded in. can i assume its a full system on there?

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
just poked my head under the bike. the exup servoe has been torn out, no cat or massive stock muffler, just the graves muffler and the header where it meets the muffler has a bung welded in. can i assume its a full system on there?
It might be a Y pipe. Pics?

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Pictures might help.:secret

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
ultimately .. you would rather have a faster LAP TIME than just "power" right?? your money needs to go to race tires for sure. No matter how much power you have, you will struggle getting around the track if you don't have good race tires.

Then.. suspension. Ya don't need expensive stuff, but what you have needs to at least be in good condition, so verify that.

The STOCK filter is very good. You won't feel the difference in any aftermarket filter. And it is not legal to use a filter that does not have the SAME EXACT OPENING size of the stock filter.. (not legal for any supersport class that is).

So now it's down to good mapping/dyno tuning. Just having a good ECU flash is only part of the equation. Race fuel and mapping for that, will give you instant HP. Little else will short of opening the motor and adjusting cam timing. ANd just stick with OEM Ngk cr10ek plugs, don't waste money on IR plugs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help, i currently run a gsxr 1000 with full onlins, ap brakes, and a list of goodies as long as my arm. im just unfamiliar with the yamaha's so im surfing around this forum and using google to help out where i can. :)
suspension is on the list of things to get already, ive got a years worth of dot race rubber for next year already, enough for both bikes. im building this one to use in the 600 class in the race series im going to participate with next year. so thats why i was thinking the bmc race filter, i guess its thinner than the street version and you lose a bit of low end power but it seems to make a small difference up top. so ive read that is. since this will be a track only bike i dont mind the sacrifice if i can get gains higher up. head work and cams probably on the list for next winter :)

ill get some pics up, im thinking it may be a y pipe as well but who knows. pics in a few min

with the race gas, im assuming you guys are bumping the timing as well to take advantage of the higher octane correct?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See if these work from my phone. Couldn't really get a good shot of the mid pipe but the header I did. Also I've been trying to find a write up on converting my harness to a race harness. Basically just the things I can and can't remove, I looked at buying one and that's out of the Budget, so does anyone have a link for building my own?

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from the google image searching im doing it looks like cylinder 2 and 3 have a pipe that joins them together in the runners right off the head, and this setup i have looks like what graves is showing for their system. i hate learning about new bikes, lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts