Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Just like the title says im having a little trouble with the bike starting. I did go down on the left side. I've read that a safety switch could be affected, it could be the battery, relay or fuses. After I went down I picked the bike up and it started right up and I rode it home. The bike has been sitting for about 3 weeks inside my living room. I tried starting the bike today and all lights and everyone on the gauges run normally but when I push the kill switch down and press the starter button and nothing happens. No crank or anything. All I hear is a buzzing noise. Pulled the seat and made sure everything was connect and it was a no fuses were blown. Tried jumping the bike with a car. I know that's a no no but I had to use what I had available.

Also when I turn the key to on I don't hear the fuel pump come on either so im lost. No cranking and no fuel pump but all lights and gauges come on like normal.

Sorry if this has been asked already.

-James

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but generally any starting system issue (i.e. no cranking) I've messed with is one of four things: battery, switches (neutral, clutch, etc.), the starter solenoid (relay), or the starter motor.

If you aren't hearing a click, it generally means the solenoid isn't relaying power from the battery to the starter. Could be the battery is shot, a faulty switch is keeping the ignition circuit from firing, or your solenoid is shot.

All of this is just a guess, but start by checking your battery voltage with a multimeter, or swapping with a known good battery. A good battery will have ~12.8v on a full charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a shot in the dark, but generally any starting system issue (i.e. no cranking) I've messed with is one of four things: battery, switches (neutral, clutch, etc.), the starter solenoid (relay), or the starter motor.

If you aren't hearing a click, it generally means the solenoid isn't relaying power from the battery to the starter. Could be the battery is shot, a faulty switch is keeping the ignition circuit from firing, or your solenoid is shot.

All of this is just a guess, but start by checking your battery voltage with a multimeter, or swapping with a known good battery. A good battery will have ~12.8v on a full charge.

Looked at everything and everything has proper voltage. I narrowed it down to the tip over sensor or the ecu. I did a little research and saw that if the tip over sensor is bad that it will cut off the fuel pump (duh) and it wont have spark thus resulting in no crank which I have or it could just be the ecu.

Whats also going on in diagnostic mode is that it says that there is a lean air code or whatever you call it but it also says that that is tied into the tip over sensor as well. Whats weird is that I cannot clear any of the codes. Even with pushing up and down on the kill switch and even unplugging the batter for a bit.

I plan on switch out the tip over sensor with a buddy to see and then if that doesn't work then the ecu.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't clear the codes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem..sold too my brother he put bike on un level ground and bike lated over on left side..I got bike back after he passed away in January..got or started one time and it has not or I have not been able to start sense..I know he had the rectifier changed out and new batt put in..I do have some codes on speedo but idk what I am looking at..if you do have any pointers or anything on how to fix I really do need help..me and my bro loved to ride and I think he would have liked to see it rode..thanks..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have the same problem..sold too my brother he put bike on un level ground and bike lated over on left side..I got bike back after he passed away in January..got or started one time and it has not or I have not been able to start sense..I know he had the rectifier changed out and new batt put in..I do have some codes on speedo but idk what I am looking at..if you do have any pointers or anything on how to fix I really do need help..me and my bro loved to ride and I think he would have liked to see it rode..thanks..
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47022

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts