Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I wanna go fast.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I have an 08 R6 and it runs very hot. As long as I'm moving, it'll stay about ~190 or so, but as soon as I stop, it easily creeps up to 210-220, even as high as 230.

One point when I first got the bike, it ran all the way up to 245. I wasn't moving, and the bike immediately cut itself off.

Is it normal for it to run this hot?

Thanks!
-turnz

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
welcome to Yammie. 170-190 while running... 220's while stopped.

now... 240... is high... fans should kick on 225ish. check for air in your radiator. there shouldnt be any

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
yeah, the fan should kick on at 214 for the '08. where u from? if ur stopped or in traffic on a hot day, the bike it gonna get really hot. yamaha claims that the highest proper running temp is 242. any higher and u'll get a warning light yelling at ya...

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I travel into DC traffic mine goes as high as 224. Fan kicks in at 214 and off at 208. If you shut off your bike at lights it will go up high(no fluid circulation). Mine has gone up to 230 engine off with fan running. I have never just shut it off completely when it is already hot. Now that's an '07 but I doubt '08 is different.

·
I wanna go fast.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

And thanks for the replies.

So far so good then, the fan kicks on at 210, and in stop-n-go, it runs right in between 210-220. So, I feel a little better now. :)

The only time it did overheat was when I cut the engine (including fan) on a hot day, sitting in the sun for a few minutes (I'm a newbie and needed to rest, had to stop). When I went back and tried to turn it on, it cut off immediately, the temp was flashing and the warning light was on. Once I let it cool down and hit the freeway, it seemed to be fine.

But, as long as I'm hearing that up to 230 is about right (depending on the day), I'm not so concerned. I guess I was comparing to my friends CBR1000RR and R1, which both run much cooler.

Oh, and I'm from the Bay Area, CA.

Thanks again!
-turnz

·
I wanna go fast.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odometer reads just under 600 miles, and I'm taking it for its first service tomorrow morning (definitely changing out the break-in oil).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts