Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i didnt know where to really put this but it seems like a fuel problem but my buddys 08 r6 is idleing really rough and and sounds low pitched like a quad or 4 stroke dirtbike. it kinda sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders, we just changed all four plugs today but it didnt change anything.... does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm no mechanic and i'm not sure if this would actually tell you anything but touch the headers and see if theres one of the pipes that isn't getting that hot and that might tell you if one of the cylinders is not working,...I guess lol Any engine codes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no mechanic and i'm not sure if this would actually tell you anything but touch the headers and see if theres one of the pipes that isn't getting that hot and that might tell you if one of the cylinders is not working,...I guess lol Any engine codes?
there aint codes, that is a pretty good idea. i have a temp sensor too, all the header pipes should get hot but i could tell the diffrence in temp,

anyone else have this happen

·
Registered
41 Posts
One more thing, what did the old plugs look like? Did any of them seem off or out of the ordinary? Does it just idle rough or does it smooth out when revved? By the way thats great that you have a heat gun, that should give you some kinda idea of whats up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wouldnt suggest actually touching the header with my bare hand. A wet cloth is nice because you will hear it hiss and steam. Like said above look at the plugs. They should be chocolate brown if not a little bit darker. White means not enough fuel, black and wet means to much fuel. Google will tell you all you ever need to know about plugs.

Is there a fuel management system on the bike? Any mods? Any pics of the plugs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it only has a hotbodies tip, three plugs were alil greyish looked like normal wear, and one has black and wet, i think b/c that cylinder isnt firing.... think it could be a coil?

·
Registered
421 Posts
could be a coil, could have been a bad connection, could have been an incorrect gap, could be a blown ring.....

it could be a lot of things, run the bike and pull the plug in the questionable cylinder and see how it looks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just spray a little bit of water on each header, if it hisses the corresponding cylinder is firing. If it sounds like a quad... My first guess is that one or more of your cylinders are not firing. Let us know what it turned out to be!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like the coils to me. I had the same problem on my 03 R6 and after doing some research I found out that there was a recall on the coils. Yes it sounded like a 4 stroke ATV or a lawn mower on steroids. Sometimes it runs fine and other times it would run very sluggish. What happened to my bike is the rubber boots around my coils fried and the coils were arching between each other shutting off cylinders randomly. Might look at those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts