Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 r6
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant find the torque specs in manual. I found 7 or 8.5 pounds of torque. Also 6nm and loosen them, torque to 3nm then 90° passed 3nm.
Anyone kno correct torque specs??
Thanks

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
8.7 ft-lbs. I'd be careful taking a torque wrench to them unless you have an extremely precise wrench. I just do them up till they are snug. They are only threaded into soft aluminum and I took a torque wrench to them once at 8.7 and it stripped the threads. I have a cheap inch-pound and 8.7ft-lbs was in the middle of the range for that wrench, so in the sweet spot, but still stripped the threads.

·
Registered
2008 r6
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure the mechanic over torqued them and cover cracked around just about every bolt. Damn one of my torque wrenches starts at 10. I'll try to get one that's lower. I'll do snug and check it after or half way thru my ride.
Thank u

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Very low torque is common throughout the bike. As a result of the light-weight materials, so is stripping. Use blue thread-locker where ever there are concerns about fasteners backing out. This especially comes in handy for fairing bolts that thread into the frame. Since they apparently make the thread-locker adhesive from platinum, silicon o-rings might be a cheaper option worth exploring. If you do buy the stick form of the thread-locker, check the expiration date before buying and use plastic wrap on the inside of the lid. Otherwise it'll dry-out. (poor packaging - on purpose I think)

You'll have to use a product like Helicoil for any stripped threads... and there's not always room for that. Best to just avoid stripping stuff. Not everything will stand up to torque spec.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,404 Posts
A 1/4 inch drive ratchet really helps to reduce your "Arnold Arm" from stripping fasteners. More or less turn until resistance is met plus a half turn of said ratchet.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
51 Posts
When the manual spec's 8.7, they are serious. I tried to take #11 and #12 on the cylinder head to 10, it snapped one of them and I had to pull the head and lift the base to pull the threads and start over.

They are serious about those numbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts