Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Need An R6 :o
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll give a short introduction before I get down to business…

Some of you may know me from the R1-Forum, but for those of you who don’t…
I’m Codey. Ashamed to say my time here has been limited. I spend the majority of my “forum time” moderating the marketplace of the R1-Forum. But I am happy to say, I will soon be investing a good bit of my time here as I sold one of my R1’s to build a track-dedicated bike.(made sure to keep an R1 of course :D)

The base of the build will be an 08 R6. My question is, with $5k to put towards mods, what would YOU invest it in specifically? I know the components that go into a track bike, what I’m looking for is what specific parts would you put on an R6(Ohlins vs Race-Tech vs Penske, etc etc) Where I can recommend most part in regards to an R1 build, I will humbly step back and take any input towards an R6 where there may be variations. Literally, your input on the best built track bike with $5k towards mods. :YEA

I hope to get some awesome advice from you guys/gals and get to know the R6 like I know my R1. Thanks in advance for any and all input. :toocool:

·
Rad Ass
328 Posts
Woodcraft case covers and woodcraft frame / swing arm sliders - no competition, hands down the best.

GPR damper if you like a pot style or ohlins or hyperpro for linear style

Armourbodies bodywork

Vortex or woodcraft clipons. Vortex V3 rear sets.

Graves, akra, or LV exhaust if you want to invest in that, but money would be better spent on suspension

Ohlins 30mm front cartridge and try to score a good used TTX mkii rear shock.

Get a ECU flash from Bauce Racing and spend the rest on TIRES AND TRACK TIME.

Seriously, contact Anthony at Bauce racing for great pricing on a bunch of those items above and the most kick ass flash you can get on the R6. He is our resident ECU guru and a real standup dude.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woodcraft case covers and woodcraft frame / swing arm sliders - no competition, hands down the best.

Armourbodies bodywork

Graves, akra, or LV exhaust if you want to invest in that, but money would be better spent on suspension

Seriously, contact Anthony at Bauce racing for great pricing on a bunch of those items above and the most kick ass flash you can get on the R6. He is our resident ECU guru and a real standup dude.

Good stuff. Majority of what you said is the route I’m going. I’m curious to see everyones opinion on suspension. Heard a lot of different opinions on the big 3(ohlins, race tech, penske)

I hope you're allocating at least 5k towards track time. Building a bike is more than worthless if you can't ride it.
Yes, I agree. I wouldn’t dump $10k into a track bike without the proper knowledge to ride it. Haha.

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Without knowing your background/experience it would be tough for anyone to recommend what is really advantageous to you. So I will save the suspension stuff for someone else.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten my ECU reflashed by ChiefSmokeDawg here on the forum first. To me, that is the best money spent, other than tires of course. Bodywork would be next on my list. I have Armour Bodies which has treated me good. The only other thing would be adjustable clip-ons to give you the ability to adjust/fit your riding style.

Save the rest for track time and tires. My .02 But what do I know...I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on crap I didn't need. :lmao I blame it on this forum. Good luck :D

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,243 Posts

Armourbodies bodywork

This. Pretty much standard stuff for a race/track bike. I'd put it in a different order, but if you are doing it all at once, then it doesn't matter. Brand suggestions are all spot on except I hate vortex stuff. I'd go with woodcrafts on the clipons and rearsets.

This would be my order of preference:

Tires
Damper (GPR/scotts/Ohlins)
SS brake lines and decent pads (Spiegler/Fren Tubo)
Engine guards and frame/axle sliders (Woodcraft)
Bodywork (Armor Bodies/Sharkskinz)
Suspension (Ohlins 30mm, Ohlins shock or rebuilt OEM unit)
rearsets/clip ons (woodcraft)
Exhaust, tuning and flash (graves or Akrapovic)

You could put the protective stuff (damper, engine guards, sliders, bodywork) at the end of the line if you aren't worried about messing up the oem stuff. If it was all pristine, it would be a better idea to sell it all off to fund the replacement bodywork.

·
I have 2 belly buttons.
1,946 Posts
Crash protection (case savers)

Anything that will make getting back on track easier, cheaper, and faster after a crash (rear sets, clip ons)

Tires

Anything that will help you adjust the bike for ergonomics (rear sets, clip ons)

Brake lines and pads

Tires again

gear

stands

warmers

ecu flash

suspension tune

That will take you VERY far

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like I should probably reiterate… I know the general components to make up the track bike. I’m looking for everyone’s specific experience with specific brands and why they would/wouldn’t recommend one over the other.

I more than appreciate everyone’s responses, I’m just looking far more technical into this than everyone’s taking it I think.

For instance, If you run an Ohlins TTX, why that over a RaceTech G3S, or vice versa. Stuff like that.

·
track junkie
2,248 Posts
For instance, If you run an Ohlins TTX, why that over a RaceTech G3S, or vice versa. Stuff like that.
some of my decisions on specific parts are based on the availability of possible replacements from other track riders that ride where i do, just in case i fall off. also, who can fix what. i bought the ttx because the dude that does suspensions at the tracks i go to is ohlins-trained. if the dude at your track days does raceteck, it's probably not in your best interest to get ohlins. if all the dudes run vortex rearsets, you may want to put the woodcrafts back on the shelf. at least, that's what i think...

s3aturnr

·
Track junkie wanna be
124 Posts
I went with Race Tech. I was able to do the front myself with compression and rebound valving, with springs for around $500 (had to buy a few tools as well). I also went with a reworked OEM rear shock from Race Tech. I was able to buy a reworked OEM shock for about $150 IIRC. Otherwise I think its about $500 to send in your shock to Race Tech for them to rework it. I went with Race Tech because of cost. I could not be anymore pleased with the set up I have even if I went with any other brand. I just enjoy track days and do not race, so I do not need every little advantage that say Ohlins might have over my current set up.

After that, a steering damper, clip ons, good rear sets, frame sliders, and case covers. After that, its up to you

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
some of my decisions on specific parts are based on the availability of possible replacements from other track riders that ride where i do, just in case i fall off. also, who can fix what. i bought the ttx because the dude that does suspensions at the tracks i go to is ohlins-trained. if the dude at your track days does raceteck, it's probably not in your best interest to get ohlins. if all the dudes run vortex rearsets, you may want to put the woodcrafts back on the shelf. at least, that's what i think...

s3aturnr
:yes

·
Registered
152 Posts
Another thing on suspension is what your turner in the area is accustomed to. Will make it easier to get parts and they are more familiar with them. Seems like the west coast is more ohlins/k tech. Where as the east coast is more Penske etc.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

s3aturnr

I went with Race Tech. I was able to do the front myself with compression and rebound valving, with springs for around $500 (had to buy a few tools as well). I also went with a reworked OEM rear shock from Race Tech. I was able to buy a reworked OEM shock for about $150 IIRC. Otherwise I think its about $500 to send in your shock to Race Tech for them to rework it. I went with Race Tech because of cost. I could not be anymore pleased with the set up I have even if I went with any other brand. I just enjoy track days and do not race, so I do not need every little advantage that say Ohlins might have over my current set up.

After that, a steering damper, clip ons, good rear sets, frame sliders, and case covers. After that, its up to you
Another thing on suspension is what your turner in the area is accustomed to. Will make it easier to get parts and they are more familiar with them. Seems like the west coast is more ohlins/k tech. Where as the east coast is more Penske etc.
Luckily I have a guy that is an absolute suspension wiz when it comes to tuning. Which he is honestly my largest critic in regards to which specific setup to run. But I’d like to get everyone’s input. As far as tuning/parts/service availability, I have pretty much open resources.

No requests for more pics of the girl in the avatar???
Hahaha. You should see what I post in VIP on the R1-Forum… :D:secret:boob

·
Make good choices.
2,794 Posts
I feel like I should probably reiterate… I know the general components to make up the track bike. I’m looking for everyone’s specific experience with specific brands and why they would/wouldn’t recommend one over the other.

I more than appreciate everyone’s responses, I’m just looking far more technical into this than everyone’s taking it I think.

You aren't getting the answers you want because you aren't asking the right questions.

If you are just looking for brand recommendations with reasoning, why don't you give us a list of parts you will install and we can recommend what we use?

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You aren't getting the answers you want because you aren't asking the right questions.

If you are just looking for brand recommendations with reasoning, why don't you give us a list of parts you will install and we can recommend what we use?
I figured the make-up of a “track set-up” was pretty generic for the most part. Suspension, tuning, protection. So my main questions would be in regards to the technical side of the parts.

i.e. If you run woodcraft over Vortex, why? If you run Penske over Ohlins, why?Good ish like that. :YEA

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.