Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
05 R6 Blue
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, not really sure where to look for this info, but, my friend and I went the the strip last week, His 08 is really really slow out of the hole, you can rev it to 13000 and slip the clutch and it just doesnt pull like my 05 does, I can roll like 3 lengths on him to 40 and then after that he slowly catches up. No its not rider, because we switched and my 05 still pulls. My thoughts are this, he knew, but i just found out that his 08 has electronic throttle plates.. Does the factory ECU limit the amount of power until a certain speed, similar to powertrain control management on most of todays cars and trucks? My bike does have a akrapovic pipe and PC3 usb, but It cant make that much of a difference can it. I ran a 11.5 , he ran 11.7 ,we are by no means pro's but he races motocross and I've always been into cars, bikes, quads; so we aren't complete amateurs. Why does his 08 feel so flat compared to mine? Thanks in advance for the info and tips.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
1,946 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that i've heard the 2nd gens have more low end than the 3rd gens, but idk how much of a difference that would make at the track

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
The stock ECU does limit the throttle application. The throttle bodies are drive by wire. So they open up fully when the ECU tells it too. You can send it to JETT to have it unleashed, and that removes that effect. Yamaha-racing (forum member) reflashes ECU's with the YEC software, and i think that could eliminate that.

Also, the 3rd gen has longer gearing, less low end all together also.

He needs to re-gear the bike if he wants to get out of the hole quicker.

·
always ridin
213 Posts
I went -1 in the front on my 09 and I like the little bit of bottom end it gave me. Helps get the rpms into the usable range quicker.

·
2 B 1 ASK 1
185 Posts
The best "bang for the buck" mod for your friend is the -1 (front) +2 (rear). The only negative is he will lose some slightly on the top end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts