Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Little background on me. I am looking for my first street bike. I have been racing moto-x and freestyle jetskiing for a long time. Yes I know it's not like riding a street bike.
Well here's the question. I have been looking at the new r6. I can pick it up for around 9800 + tax. figured I was all set until I walked into a dealer today and saw a 08 r6s left over. From what I was told there is more power throughout the r6s instead of just higher into the r's with the 10/11. I was also told that since the r6s bars are set above the triple clamp you don't lay over the front wheel as much and make's it a little friendlier for the street. He also told me if I want more of a track bike the 10/11 r6 will have a higher top end and handle the track better. Now here comes where I start asking myself what bike to get. The 08 r6s is 6700 +tax. I would like to here your thoughts on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You'll probably get varying answers, but for me I'd say go for a non S. You might also want to look at getting a used bike. The depreciation is nuts off the lot and there are a ton of people out there who buy bikes, barely ride them, and then sell them for a great price. I grew up riding dirt bikes and the transition to my first R6 was easy for me.

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
yeah, I definitely recommend buying a lightly used r6 with 1 or 2k miles over a brand new bike. Just make sure the seller seems mature enough, or I wouldn't trust their ability to properly break in the engine. If you go to see the bike and they are:

a. in a wife beater and dale jr. hat, holding a bud - run.
b. greet you with "what up sonnnnn!" - run.

But buying a lightly used bike, you can basically buy a brand new bike for a few thousand less. If you plan on adding mods (which you will) the extra $1,000-$3,000 saved can be quite fun to play with.

Don't let the dealership make you think the r6s is all the power of the r6v (r) up top with additional low end. Not as much high end on the r6s. But I LOVE my r6v, riding position has never bothered me. But I also have only ridden 2 motorcycles in my short riding career, both sport bikes with an aggressie riding position.

·
San Jose Sharks..!!
482 Posts
Look around here I remember seeing 09 R6V's for $6900
:yes

Find a good slightly used bike for a good price and have money left for all the upgrades you will eventually get. I bought my bike new because I got a really good deal or I would of got a used bike.

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
OP what is you main purpose for the bike just street or track.....yea the R6V is better blah blah blah, but its more of an aggressive bike. if all your gonna do be riding the streets then why not just get the "s" its more comfortable.....and its not like its slow

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Its more a love factor also involved, which one would you rather see sitting in your garage, :lmao

for just street riding and occasional trackdays, the R6S is a great bike and not a slouch by any means, takes an expert racer to outride one of those bikes. That said, if you plan on getting into racing later on, get newer models.

I'd say just go by what appeals to you, haha, pretty irresponsible on my part ;)

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
Its more a love factor also involved, which one would you rather see sitting in your garage, :lmao

for just street riding and occasional trackdays, the R6S is a great bike and not a slouch by any means, takes an expert racer to outride one of those bikes. That said, if you plan on getting into racing later on, get newer models.

I'd say just go by what appeals to you, haha, pretty irresponsible on my part ;)
:werd:stupic

·
143 Posts
I will say I rode 5 hours yesterday and 4 hours today and my back hurts(I have a bad back anyway) but I still don't regret the agressive riding position.

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
a. in a wife beater and dale jr. hat, holding a bud - run.
b. greet you with "what up sonnnnn!" - run.
just curious what exactly are you getting at with BOTH of those comments

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
OP,

Get the R6s. 9800 + tax is like 10,500. People have definitely paid more than that out the door, but I can't comprehend spending 10k+ on one of these bikes. Once you get it, you're gonna dump at least 1-2k in it in aftermarket parts. It's inevitable.

A lot of people say having something new is priceless cause you know exactly where it's been and how it's been riden and taken care of. I believe in this, but I also believe unless you crash these bikes, they are nearly impossible to kill.

I say get the R6s since it's your first sportbike and it will take you at least a couple years before you can ride it near it's potential and to get it how you want it. And the price is much nicer. I enjoy the better mid range a lot on the earlier bikes after I have been ridin my 08. It's significant, and they are more comfortable for sure.

just curious what exactly are you getting at with BOTH of those comments
:lmao

Just some serious stereotyping!! I'm sure it's more than likely in good humor, but LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts