Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
They call me... Zebra!
3,466 Posts
Well 2008 is the fastest of the years, 09 model has exhaust and fairing changes, and all I have heard on the 10 is fairing. Personally I think its retarded to de-tune the ECU because its sad they keep making years that have less power than an older bike :confused::confused:

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
color's x2

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
2008 is the fasterist. :flex:

·
Registered
790 Posts
They only changes were colors and bolt placements on the fairings. 08s were just out for everyone to see and the later models were hidden more.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
08 - for real - has the most horsepower. in 09, yamaha got caught with their pants down on their design when the epa or somebody decided to enforce more strict emmissions laws. the only way yamaha could keep up, was the tweak the exhaust to limit the top end, and keep the "umph" that we all think is still missing in the 0-6k rpm range. by doing this, they actuall lost horsepower, and still to this day haven't corrected the problem. the only solution would be to re-engineer some internals and a few other things that are way beyond me.

and fwiw, i'm not just pulling this outta my ass... i'm trying to remember what the article in sport rider a few months ago said about all this, and simply type that as i remember. i'm sure it's not exact, but i AM sure it's close enough to get you what you're looking for.

i'd go 08 if you're shopping.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
08 - for real - has the most horsepower. in 09, yamaha got caught with their pants down on their design when the epa or somebody decided to enforce more strict emmissions laws. the only way yamaha could keep up, was the tweak the exhaust to limit the top end, and keep the "umph" that we all think is still missing in the 0-6k rpm range. by doing this, they actuall lost horsepower, and still to this day haven't corrected the problem. the only solution would be to re-engineer some internals and a few other things that are way beyond me.

and fwiw, i'm not just pulling this outta my ass... i'm trying to remember what the article in sport rider a few months ago said about all this, and simply type that as i remember. i'm sure it's not exact, but i AM sure it's close enough to get you what you're looking for.

100% correct!

·
10 + 2 more
294 Posts

it was the august issue... read it on the toilet the other day :fact
but that pretty much summed it up. EPA tightened up sound regulations and Yamaha was unprepared and had no other choice but detune the bike..

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
'08 also had the thinner fuel tank wall, so don't fall down and go boom... then whooosh, crackle crackle <~~~ sound of fire...

·
R6
135 Posts
yeah, i've read 08's are the ones to get. i've got an 07, so i'm guessing they just took the same base off of that and did some tweaks to it. so 08 and lower?..lol.
No. The change from 07 to 08 was a big one. I'd probably go 08 and up before going 08 and lower. 2008 was and still is the best year for the R6, just like everyone has said.

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts

Very true; however, if anyone want's or has a '09 or '10 they can dump the stock exhaust for a full system. Team this up with a Power Commander and the proper custom mapping and the HP will be there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts