Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 R6 and I've spent all day trying to remove the dog bones / lowering links. I've searched high an low but nobody seems to have an answer on how to remove the front bolt holding the dogbone in an 09. The other years of R6's seem like the install would be very easy. From the attached pictures you can see that the catalytic converter clip prevents the removal of this bolt.

In an effort to get it out I've removed every connecting bolt on that middle bracket. I've also removed all the bolts holing on the exhaust and the catalytic converter, so the only part of the exhaust still connected to the bike is the headers. There seems to be a sleeve in the top front hole as it won't move out of it's axis of rotation. I've tried to knock the sleeve out but didn't have any luck. I've also tried just pushing the catalytic converter down far enough to slide the bolt out and I can't. The only other thing I can think of doing is removing the headers....??? Please tell me there's some other way to do this.

Attachments

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
you have to take the headers off completely. Only way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is a sleeve in the upper front pivot arm section. It's removed out the side of the frame tab and then the pivot can drop out. I believe it slides towards the chain side of the bike to come out.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I just sort of jumped on the cat a little bit while my wife pulled the bolt out. I didnt take the headers off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finaly got the bolt removed and here's the easiest way to do it.

Remove all the bolts holding the exhaust on. Now the exhaust is only hinging on the headers. Without removing any of the fairings you can loosen the bolts holding the headers. You just go in through the front forks and the headers are right there. So now with the headers loosened just a bit the exhaust can easily be pushed down and out of the way of the bolt holding the link.

I hope this saves someone the headache I had. Also as a note I used a 1/2" diameter bar I bought from home Depot and slid it through the hole in the engine (no idea why there's a hole's there but it works perfect for this) then I put a Jack stand (with a cinder block under it to give it more height) on each side of the bike and lifted it up. Don't try to do this with just lifting the bike by hand! It takes to much time to do and is too heavy.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Don't try to do this with just lifting the bike by hand! It takes to much time to do and is too heavy.
Disagree. I lifted it myself with my shoulder and replaced the links and bolts. Once the bolts are facing the right way, it takes me literally less than 10 minutes. Alone.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I find that in the end it saves a lot of time and heartache to just remove all the parts that are in the way of what you are working on rather than try to work around them.
I use the bang or jump on it method for this specific job... I swear people overthink things sometime....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts