Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Drop a gear and disappear
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 09 R6 has started to make a weird noise, which gets worse when i get on the throttle. It almost sounds like a belt of some sort or something.

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CSN_iOpnkQ

I've had the bike out for about a month and half now on the road, with an oil change and 1,000 miles so far this season without a single problem and all of the sudden she started making that noise.

Its coming from on the brake side, down by the oil level dipstick or clutch/right in front of the clutch.

The oil levels are fine... stumped here...

Also, may or may not be related, but on my way home just a few minutes ago I noticed my speedo was off by what seems to be quite a bit (12-15+ mph off). My chain and sprockets are stock and it was fine this morning when I rode in, I was rolling at what should have been 10 mph and it was reading 26 mph...

Any input is appreciated, thanks

frustrating day.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it get louder if you accelerate down the road and let up off the throttle? ever have problems getting it started?
I have a pretty loud exhaust, so hard to tell if I really get on it, but when Im just going and cruising I can DEFINITELY hear it while im riding now, and i know that I wasn't hearing it before.

Starting it up I have to hold it for a few seconds but its always started up, and once she's hot and been running and I go do something and come back she fires right up

:confused:

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
That's where your clutch is. Do you notice the clutch slipping under heavy acceleration? Slipping would explain why your speedo is off.

I would drain the oil and crack it open to inspect. There is also an oil pump chain back there. Wouldn't explain the speedo, but if it's loose or damaged it could be making some noise.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's where your clutch is. Do you notice the clutch slipping under heavy acceleration? Slipping would explain why your speedo is off.

I would drain the oil and crack it open to inspect. There is also an oil pump chain back there. Wouldn't explain the speedo, but if it's loose or damaged it could be making some noise.
Not really, I mean shes been shifting fairly smooth lately. I'll probably have to ride it again to see.

Let me go check and see if its the CCT, I'll report back thanks

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Not really, I mean shes been shifting fairly smooth lately. I'll probably have to ride it again to see.

Let me go check and see if its the CCT, I'll report back thanks
Slipping clutch would actually make your shifts more smooth, because it's not biting hard enough to jerk. You'll notice though (particularly under heavy acceleration) that the engine revs up (easier than normal maybe) but the bike doesn't accelerate as much as it should. Same as if you're taking off in first and you only have the clutch 1/2 way out.

CCT is also right there, except a bit higher. Could easily be that as well (although it wouldn't explain speedo either).

For the speed, some other ideas:
Is your tire pressure good?
Have you changed tires lately?
Have you changed sprockets/chain lately?
I'm guessing you haven't been playing around with flashing ecu or power commander/speedo healer, anything like that?

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slipping clutch would actually make your shifts more smooth, because it's not biting hard enough to jerk. You'll notice though (particularly under heavy acceleration) that the engine revs up (easier than normal maybe) but the bike doesn't accelerate as much as it should. Same as if you're taking off in first and you only have the clutch 1/2 way out.

CCT is also right there, except a bit higher. Could easily be that as well (although it wouldn't explain speedo either).

For the speed, some other ideas:
Is your tire pressure good?
Have you changed tires lately?
Have you changed sprockets/chain lately?
I'm guessing you haven't been playing around with flashing ecu or power commander/speedo healer, anything like that?

Hmm could be clutch I guess...

Here's a better video of the whining sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb9nqRDBPm8

Yeah i suppose it has been a little different in first lately....Faster acceleration and shifts have felt smooth i'd say... might have to give that a look though. And the CCT a lot of people have had problems with I read so i'm considering that as well.

Tire pressure good, tires have been on for a year and will get changed probably towards end of july/beginning of august or sooner depending on how much riding I get in. Sprockets/chain are still stock. Full system exhaust (mjs + growler) and an ECU reflash. However I've never had a problem with the speedo or this sound since the exhaust and flash were done. It's always run absolutely mint since the flash.

Today was first day with a speedo error. Guess i'll have to ride it again and see if its still off and if the clutch feels weird.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it to the dealer to let them have a listen. He says there is definitely a "sound" but it's not a "noise" and then explained the difference between them. Pretty much a sound is not a problem, a noise is. It doesn't feel or sound right when i'm riding on it though. I mentioned possibility of Cam Chain Tensioner or the clutch slipping. He said more likely the clutch slipping and to go about 30 mph, put it in 6th and WOT. So i did that and it feels pretty damn weak compared to normal (takes quite a few seconds to even speed up), unless its just me. Thoughts?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Hmm could be clutch I guess...

Here's a better video of the whining sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb9nqRDBPm8

Yeah i suppose it has been a little different in first lately....Faster acceleration and shifts have felt smooth i'd say... might have to give that a look though. And the CCT a lot of people have had problems with I read so i'm considering that as well.

Tire pressure good, tires have been on for a year and will get changed probably towards end of july/beginning of august or sooner depending on how much riding I get in. Sprockets/chain are still stock. Full system exhaust (mjs + growler) and an ECU reflash. However I've never had a problem with the speedo or this sound since the exhaust and flash were done. It's always run absolutely mint since the flash.

Today was first day with a speedo error. Guess i'll have to ride it again and see if its still off and if the clutch feels weird.
Let us know if you find anything.

A bad cam chain tensioner should sounds like a chain slapping around, because that's exactly what it is. If it doesn't apply the appropriate amount of tension to the cam chain, the chain will have a lot of slack and bounce around. That's the kind of thing you want to take care of, because if it jumps a tooth you lose your timing and you will do a lot of damage to your engine in a fraction of a second.

I'm not sure what would cause a whining sounds, but my money would still be on clutch. I'd pull it apart and see if you find anything unusual. Here is a video of someone pulling it apart, and you can see everything that's in there. Not sure if you have R6s, but most everything is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWLfp0IEpI

Here is a video of some guy's clutch slipping. You can see the revs go up and the bike doesn't really accelerate, until it eventually bites down and his front end gets light. Yours might be much more subtle than this, it's a pretty extreme example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeVgt2ylDc

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Took it to the dealer to let them have a listen. He says there is definitely a "sound" but it's not a "noise" and then explained the difference between them. Pretty much a sound is not a problem, a noise is. It doesn't feel or sound right when i'm riding on it though. I mentioned possibility of Cam Chain Tensioner or the clutch slipping. He said more likely the clutch slipping and to go about 30 mph, put it in 6th and WOT. So i did that and it feels pretty damn weak compared to normal (takes quite a few seconds to even speed up), unless its just me. Thoughts?
I think the key to that experiment is determining if the engine speeds up more than the bike does. The bike won't have much power at 30mph in 6th gear, so don't expect much acceleration.

What you want to look for is if the tachometer starts climbing more than the bike is accelerating. You'll see that happen in the video I linked to. His tach goes way up, but his bike barely changed speed. That's because his clutch plates are slipping.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let us know if you find anything.

A bad cam chain tensioner should sounds like a chain slapping around, because that's exactly what it is. If it doesn't apply the appropriate amount of tension to the cam chain, the chain will have a lot of slack and bounce around. That's the kind of thing you want to take care of, because if it jumps a tooth you lose your timing and you will do a lot of damage to your engine in a fraction of a second.

I'm not sure what would cause a whining sounds, but my money would still be on clutch. I'd pull it apart and see if you find anything unusual. Here is a video of someone pulling it apart, and you can see everything that's in there. Not sure if you have R6s, but most everything is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWLfp0IEpI

Here is a video of some guy's clutch slipping. You can see the revs go up and the bike doesn't really accelerate, until it eventually bites down and his front end gets light. Yours might be much more subtle than this, it's a pretty extreme example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeVgt2ylDc
If you see the comment above I explain a little bit more...I believe you are correct and that it might be the clutch. I can hear a little bit of a tick when I put my ear right up to near it, but the whine is louder and I believe that tick i'm hearing is the yammi tick and not a chain slapping around, but who knows.
I have to let the clutch out pretty far in first now to get going and apply a decent amount of rpms so its very possible its the clutch... Gonna have to make an appt with the good ole mechanic and hope his pockets aren't too deep :thumbdown

In the meantime, if it is the clutch, perhaps its time for a nice upgrade! any suggestions?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
If you see the comment above I explain a little bit more...I believe you are correct and that it might be the clutch. I can hear a little bit of a tick when I put my ear right up to near it, but the whine is louder and I believe that tick i'm hearing is the yammi tick and not a chain slapping around, but who knows.
I have to let the clutch out pretty far in first now to get going and apply a decent amount of rpms so its very possible its the clutch... Gonna have to make an appt with the good ole mechanic and hope his pockets aren't too deep :thumbdown

In the meantime, if it is the clutch, perhaps its time for a nice upgrade! any suggestions?
Yup, I'm feeling more and more confident that's your problem. Hopefully it's just warped or warn friction plates and nothing more serious than that.

I believe people have recommended going with OEM parts, but I'm not 100% about that. I'd have a look around and see what people recommend, as well as your trusted mechanic.

·
Two Bro's=ORGASM *nohomo*
3,309 Posts
That looks like HE was slipping the clutch, not that the clutch was slipping ;)

The clutch is slipping, revs increase but speed doesn't match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PytXwILSw6Y

If the OP's clutch is slipping I'd almost guarantee it's because of insufficient clutch lever freeplay:

-Jamie M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts