Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Maynes,

I've been running Amsoil 10W40 for the last 3 oil changes (so approx 9k miles) but was thinking of switching over to Motul 300V (the green ecto-cooler looking oil)

My question is this: As I will obviously not be able to FULLY drain all of the 3.3Qts of Amsoil that is in the case, will it be ok to have some slight mix-age going on? I am not sure how similar or different the oil profiles are between the Amsoil and Motul 300v, but they are obviously totally different colors etc so more than anything I just want to make sure that the first few changes aren't harmful in any way seeing that I'll have a bit of old Amsoil (that I couldn't get out with the drain) in the new fresh Motul 300v! Anything to worry about? *

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
It'll explode, better just give the bike to me.....

·
Was it as good for you?
1,381 Posts
The biggest concern with using different oils is mixing weights more so than different brands. As long as you are using the same weight oil (ie. 10w-30 amsoil and 10w-30 motul) you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I hear olive oil will help stabilize the two oils together.

·
I like corners.
357 Posts
The biggest concern with using different oils is mixing weights more so than different brands. As long as you are using the same weight oil (ie. 10w-30 amsoil and 10w-30 motul) you shouldn't have a problem.

There's not a single problem with mixing oil weights. Stop spreading misinformation.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

Who told you that retarded information?

·
Was it as good for you?
1,381 Posts
Everything with an engine takes a specific weight oil correct? Depending on climate and engine type different weight oils are required. I'm not saying it won't run, or blow up, but it won't be the optimum mix for the application. Mixing 10w-30 and 15w-45 would come out to a weird ratio.

If it doesn't matter what weight oil you use then why are there so many different types....

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Hey Maynes,

I've been running Amsoil 10W40 for the last 3 oil changes (so approx 9k miles) but was thinking of switching over to Motul 300V (the green ecto-cooler looking oil)

My question is this: As I will obviously not be able to FULLY drain all of the 3.3Qts of Amsoil that is in the case, will it be ok to have some slight mix-age going on? I am not sure how similar or different the oil profiles are between the Amsoil and Motul 300v, but they are obviously totally different colors etc so more than anything I just want to make sure that the first few changes aren't harmful in any way seeing that I'll have a bit of old Amsoil (that I couldn't get out with the drain) in the new fresh Motul 300v! Anything to worry about? *
Take the motor apart and scrub out the galleys with pipe cleaner and toothbrush.

It'll explode, better just give the bike to me.....
Just like Die Hard with a Vengence when they had those bombs that explode after the two liquids mix together. That's what happens when Motul and Amsoil touch each other.

·
I like corners.
357 Posts
Everything with an engine takes a specific weight oil correct?
No. Multiple different oil weights can be used on the same engine with the same results.

Depending on climate and engine type different weight oils are required. I'm not saying it won't run, or blow up, but it won't be the optimum mix for the application.
You're contradicting your first statement. A vehicle can be subjected to a different climate within the same period between oil changes, and still be just fine.

Mixing 10w-30 and 15w-45 would come out to a weird ratio.
Why is that? What you listed could be 100% acceptable for a vehicle. As long as the cold and hot oil weights of both oils were within the limits for the engine and its use, there would be no issues from mixing the 2.

If it doesn't matter what weight oil you use then why are there so many different types....
Where did somebody say oil weight doesn't matter?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
You have to clean the inside of the engine with unicorn semen

·
Was it as good for you?
1,381 Posts
No. Multiple different oil weights can be used on the same engine with the same results.
Then why do manufacturers specify a specific weight for vehicles?

You're contradicting your first statement. A vehicle can be subjected to a different climate within the same period between oil changes, and still be just fine.
Well is the same true for prolonged periods of time? I mean you wouldn't put a heavy weight oil in if you lived in a super cold climate, at least I would hope not.

Why is that? What you listed could be 100% acceptable for a vehicle. As long as the cold and hot oil weights of both oils were within the limits for the engine and its use, there would be no issues from mixing the 2.
As you said, It "could be" acceptable. I don't know if it is or not. Do you? And what would be the proper way of finding that out. It seems there would be too many unknown variables, internal engine defects for example.

Where did somebody say oil weight doesn't matter?
That was more of an open ended question than a statement. But it seems everyone is defending the fact you can mix, match and use non specific weights without concern. It seems as though that is being inferred without saying that exactly.

·
I like corners.
357 Posts

Many manufactures list multiple different oil weights you can use depending on your climate.. To say that an engine can only run one specific oil weight is crazy talk.

Well is the same true for prolonged periods of time? I mean you wouldn't put a heavy weight oil in if you lived in a super cold climate, at least I would hope not.

Are you ready to have your mind blown? Are you???

Get ready......

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Technology..... :dizzy

As you said, It "could be" acceptable. I don't know if it is or not. Do you? And what would be the proper way of finding that out. It seems there would be too many unknown variables, internal engine defects for example.

Could was referencing, "As long as the cold and hot oil weights of both oils were within the limits for the engine and its use". There are no unknown variables. Do some research as there is an endless amount of info on this around the internet. just because 'you' don't know, doesn't mean that it is an unknown...

That was more of an open ended question than a statement. But it seems everyone is defending the fact you can mix, match and use non specific weights without concern. It seems as though that is being inferred without saying that exactly.

It's because you can, and TBH you're the only (ignorant) one in here saying that you can't...
See in blue.

·
Was it as good for you?
1,381 Posts
Well OP just go ahead and throw whatever in there. Maybe some 30wt oil, if you have a quart lying.

Also someone should call some of the major oil companies and inform them they are wasting millions on R&D. That oil is oil.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

Do everyone a favor, mainly yourself, and quit using the internet.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Take the motor apart and scrub out the galleys with pipe cleaner and toothbrush.

Partially correct

Just like Die Hard with a Vengence when they had those bombs that explode after the two liquids mix together. That's what happens when Motul and Amsoil touch each other.
You have to clean the inside of the engine with unicorn semen
Also partially correct

You guys almost had it.

You have to take the motor apart and scrub it with a pipe cleaner and toothbrush. That are soaked in unicorn semen.

And the Die Hard reference made me laugh very hard at the computer and my dog can't figure out why I randomly bursted out in laughter. :lmao:lmao:lmao

1 - 20 of 83 Posts