Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
09 R6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm stumped by this problem, so I figured I'd bring it to the forums and see if I can get some help...

I have a 09 R6, bought new this April (2010) and now has 1900 miles on it. Bike is still totally stock engine/drivetrain wise. I did a trackday with it about two weeks ago (which was a Wed.). The bike ran perfect, with no issues at all. At the end of the day, I packed it up, trailered it home, and it sat in my heated garage until the following Monday night, where I was intending on going to another trackday. I started the bike up, let it idle for about 10min while I got the truck/ramps ready before loading it in. The bike idled fine, no issues.

The next morning, when I actually got to the track, I took it out of the truck, everything seemed fine. I rode it through tech without any issues. Rode it back to the garage area and waited for my session. Approx. 45min later my session was "on deck", so I started it up to get it up to temp. While I was suiting up, I noticed that it was idling strange. At first I figured it was just cold, as the ambient temps were around 50deg at that point. I let it idle until the temps were around 185 before I attempted to ride it. Once I got on the bike, it had no power, and it continued to idle strange.

My first thought was that a plug went out. So I headed back to the garage, took the airbox out and checked for spark. All plugs are firing, and all coil packs are producing spark. All the plugs were tan/light brown in color, none were fuel or oil soaked at all. They all had both of their electrodes, and the gaps were within factory specs. I worked on it for the rest of the day, still not able to figure it out, so I packed up my gear and went home.

When I went home, I tested everything for a second time....same result. I continued to check the obv. Everything is plugged in, good connections. I have fuel pressure, no check engine lights, no trouble codes. The fuel I was using is fresh, from the same batch that I used 6 days prior. The bike was and is always stored in a moisture free environment.

I ended up bringing it back to the dealership (which I don't like this idea at all..), but it's under warranty, so I figured I shouldn't be dumping any money into it. The dealership has had it for 3.5 working days, and still hasn't got it up and running.

Anyone have any ideas as to why its running like this? Any other obv. things to check?

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you know what cylinder it is, you could start swapping parts around one at a time to see if the problem follows that part.

·
09 R6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I can't isolate which one is not firing since they all are getting spark. More importantly, I'm not even sure if any of them AREN'T firing. The symptoms however mimick those of an engine running on less than 4 cyl.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maybe a throttle problem? With the ignition on and the bike not running, can you hear the throttle body moving when you twist the throttle?

·
09 R6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe a throttle problem? With the ignition on and the bike not running, can you hear the throttle body moving when you twist the throttle?
With the bike powered on, I can see the throttle bodies moving when the airbox is removed. Since it's drive by wire, full throttle on the grips results in approx. 70% opening at the butterflys. This verifies that the TPS is working.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well looking at the list of engine codes here, it seems like there isn't much that wouldn't through a code. About the only thing I can think of is a plugged fuel injector.

·
09 R6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well looking at the list of engine codes here, it seems like there isn't much that wouldn't through a code. About the only thing I can think of is a plugged fuel injector.
Those were my thoughts after I checked the obv. I would think that if a cyl wasn't firing, then the plug would be fuel soaked, which isn't the case.

Is there a filter before the pump? If so, it's surprising that only one injector would get clogged, which I'm assuming are the primary injectors. They must be actuating electronically, otherwise I assume I would be getting a code.

The dealership is working on it, but I'm trying to troubleshoot it on my own in parallel.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hopefully the dealership can figure it out without screwing anything up. I haven't dealt with motorcycle dealerships much, but it never ceases to amaze me how dumb mechanics at dealerships can be.

·
life is sweeeet.
296 Posts
let your bike run for awhile so the headers can heat up.. and get a sponge or old paint brush and a cup of water... dip the brush in the cup of water and then brush each header pipe until you notice one this not evaporating...if a header is not evaporating that's the one not firing..if they all are evaporating then it's some thing else.

·
09 R6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update 10-13-10

The dealership is still working on it. They verified two times that it is getting spark in all cyls and they went ahead and changed the plugs. They are now in the process of getting a new ECU authorized by Yamaha under warranty. They are thinking that this will fix the issue...however, I have my doubts. :sing

I feel like they are just tossing parts at it as a wild-arse-guess. Seems to me that if the ECU was F-ed, then I would be getting codes or the bike wouldn't run at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts