Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My R6 eats....
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the searching and searching for a rear cowl that fits right, I have finally given up my searching. I dont like the one Yamaha sells, and I have not seen a Targa cowl that seems to fit right. So I decided that I will attempt to make my own. I have done fiberglass for speaker boxes before, but this will be the first cowl thats for sure.

AS far as now, I have shaped a cowl out of clay, and have put the first two layers of fiberglass on for my mold. That setup is currently drying. Im going to start and try to post the current pics and see how it goes. Im not promising anything special. But atleast posting on here keeps me working on it haha.

·
My R6 eats....
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so update 1, the mold came off of the clay shape, but its still not quite dry. after it dries im going to try and start making the cowl. Im having problems with my SD card reader so pictures are going to be a little delayed. But most importantly I dont think I have screwed up too bad yet. haha

·
My R6 eats....
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now, just waiting on fiberglass to dry, lets see if i can get some pics up in the meantime

·
My R6 eats....
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

clay form

[/URL]
clay form

fiberglass mold

I have already removed the mold, and the first "cowl" is drying right now. In a couple of hours I will pull it out and see how it is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
subscribed. The targa cowl doesnt fit good? I want one really bad but if its $180 and fits like shit...that sucks. This thread looks promising

·
My R6 eats....
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh a reminder for anyone doing this. If you are going to use aluminum foil as a release for your mold. make sure the resin doesnt seep through cracks..... little delayed haha

·
My R6 eats....
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well... my mold warped when it was drying because i was stupid, so being pissed off i didnt mess with it anymore. but all my powdercoating should be done by tomorrow... so ill go back and see if i can get it to turn out better this time.

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
:swordfigh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts