Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Injected with a poison
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had a problem with the 1 - 2 upshift on your R6?

more often than I'd like, I find on acceleration (hard, or otherwise) that sometimes the lever will flick into neutral instead of going right into 2nd.
The result is a nerve jolting rev spike, because I am twisting the throttle in anticipation of everything working the way it should.

I can understand that perhaps there is more travel needed in the lever to make the shift from down 1, then up 1.5, or 2 to get into second gear, but I am not doing anything different in terms of my shifting habits.
I am just wondering if there is a synchro issue here, or if my set up needs some kind of adjustment.
It's irritating to say the least.

Thanks!

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
how many miles/ when was your last oil change/ what is the level of your oil?

·
Registered
60 Posts
ive got the same problem above 6k rpm. ive got 11k miles on my 05 with my last oil change about 500 miles ago. i put in a new ebc clutch and was thinking that might be to blame, ive also messed with the clutch lever linkage and none seem to help.

·
My Champ. Rocks her socks
144 Posts
happens to me every once in a while, same sittuation... taking off hard going to hit 2nd and VROOOOOOMOOMOOMOM!!! "AH FKN GREEN LIGHT!"

i just try n remember to pull up a little harder on the 1-2 shift and clutch it a little more then normal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have problem with 2nd to 3rd. it doesn't click that good.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Same thing happens to me...I do like slippin says...just make sure to shift extra hard up to 2nd.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
hate to be the party pooper, but that sounds like the early stages of a worn out (or slightly bent) shift fork. Hopefully I am wrong, but I had to do the shift forks and second gear on both my 05 Kawi 636 and my 01 r6. Bent shift forks keep the gear from going all the way over on the shaft as it should, making it easier to pop out and round of the gear dogs. Once that starts happening, it will start popping out of gear, being hard to get in gear, etc. I hope its something simple, bud, I really do, because if its not, its a motor pull and case split situation.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
I changed my bike to GP style shifing and havent missed a shift yet. You can get more leverage pushing down instead of pulling up. It takes getting used to, but its soooooo much easier.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I used to have the same problem. Every so often it wouldn't go all the way to 2nd. But after I lowered my shift lever I was able to get more leverage on it and don't make that mistake anymore. Also, you do need to apply a little more pressure when shifting to 2nd than any other gear.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I changed my bike to GP style shifing and havent missed a shift yet. You can get more leverage pushing down instead of pulling up. It takes getting used to, but its soooooo much easier.
+1...and it makes it harder for thieves (or your buddies) to ride your bike.

·
Injected with a poison
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike is an 06 R6, 11K miles on it, with all the service followed to the letter.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I have tried to get in the habit of just exerting a little more "oomph" in my foot for that first upshift. The thing is: it doesn't feel "natural" because every other upshift from that point is fine. It kind of throws my balance off a little, because instead of the usual toe flick, I feel like I have to do a full on foot kick to make sure the damn thing goes straight to 2nd.
I don't ever recall having this issue when I first got the bike, so maybe it really is a shift fork getting worn.......which would suck, given the age/mileage of the bike.

I guess if that's what it is, that's what it is, and I'll just have to throw money at it to get it back to normal.

·
Injected with a poison
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to have the same problem. Every so often it wouldn't go all the way to 2nd. But after I lowered my shift lever I was able to get more leverage on it and don't make that mistake anymore. Also, you do need to apply a little more pressure when shifting to 2nd than any other gear.
That's good to know, because I thought at first that perhaps that's what I needed to do. I would hate to think that my shift fork is toasted after only 11K miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
No issues like that at all on my 08.

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
naah. i had a yamaha three wheeler growing up and it shifted down to go up. i would switch between that the yamaha quad we had. maybe your first ride if you wander off youll forget, but it only takes once. then youll never have an issue again haha.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ive had this problem. changed my oil a few days ago.. still doesnt work right sometimes. sticks in 1 or 2. kind of sputtery.. real hard to accelerate... going to get one of my friends to take a look at it. maybe do a carb clean on it. see if that helps.

·
Jennings rocks!
1,435 Posts
The newer model R6 is known for having a clunky transmission. You really have to make sure you pop the lever up (or down) into place.

Now my Kawasaki on the other hand..shifts like a dream :) Love it haha

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
How do you do this?
Go to the "How To" section on this forum, and theyll show you how to do it for free. Other people sell linkages and stuff.

It does take some getting used to. I came out of a corner on my way to work, whacked the throttle, and.... downshifted. Felt like a dumbass.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts