Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I've searched the forum pretty hard but I'm only left kinda confused.

Im going to be doing the 520 -1/+2 Conversion but I'm not sure what the sprocket number is to order.

Most sites ask you to say how many teeth ya want, and I'm not sure what the stock number is. If someone could answer this I would be appreciative.

I'm thinkin its like 15/50 for the mod. Is that right? Or is it something different?

I'm thinkin of going with the Stealth Sprockets - any word on that?

Thanks guys!

I'm sure this is a redundant question...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so I'm thinking it is indeed 15/50.

Now I'm lookin at chains, and I'm wondering if the DID 520VM is a good enough chain - I looked at the EVR3 and its rated for 180+ hp, obviously no street R6 is gonna pull 180. So I feel this is like hunting for deer with a cruise missile, i.e. overkill.

If anyone here has had a bad experience wit the DID 520VM please let me know. I'll be purchasing my kit probably tomorrow unless someone can think of a reason not to use that chain. Just for reference, heres the site I'm going to use.

Also I hear a lot about a "Master Rivet" can someone tell me what this is and what function it performs?

Thanks!

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=22975&showfull=Y

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
You didn't say what year, so I assume a new newer bike.

My '06 has 16/45 stock and I'm running a 15/47 or 15/46, depending on the track. A few of the fastest guys around MMP are running 14/47, but I think that's too much.

-D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yah sorry its actually an 05 R6. 15/50 seems to be the -1+2... ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
go out and count the teeth on the sprocket! They even have the number printed on the sprocket for you to make it easier! If you're gonna spend the coin, dont be lazy and go count them so you dont order the wrong gear.

What type of 'ring' is that chain. I use an X- ring chain on mine, want atleast a good/great O-ring.. XW is overrkill

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok yah I can check it but I don't know if its at the stock setting as is. My bike came from Japan - complete with japanese Vin and everything. It was imported into Portland Oregon as a "stock" bike for AMA style local races. All Im tryin to find out is the stock setting for 05 Bikes. It won't do me any good to check mine if its not stock.

As is my bike pulls hard on other R6's and wheelies much easier, but still has a fairly high Top speed. I'm just tryin to find the stock count lol - counting a possibly modified bike won't do me any good :/

So the RK 520 GXW is overkill? I was thinking it looks far superior to the ERV3 yet costs 10$ less.

The setup I'm lookin at is:

15/50 RK 520 GXW + Driven Sprockets. comes in at 193$ shipped. Not bad?
the ERV3 is like 213 or something close to that.

Thinking Gold chain black sprockets. Should match the color of my bike nicely.

PS - srry if my post comes off snappy lol - Ive been lookin forever for a sure answer about the 05 bikes. Meh.. I'm just gonna run 15/50 I think.

·
Registered
119 Posts
thats cheap as chips, if you think the bike may not be stock, arent you proving that you are being 'lazy' by not even bothering to walk the 50-60m to your bike and checking it! It may save you 200 bucks. Reason why it may pull so well and still have top end could be jetting, engine work etc, but top speed is gearing no matter which way you look at it. If someone offered me 200 bucks to take the 10min car drive to check the teeth on my sprockets id to it. Thats pretty much what this boils down to!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
shouldnt matter what your stock gearing is, if your wanting to go down 1 up 2, then your current setup means nothing compared to what it was stock. your still going to be going 1 down 2 up from your current setup which is i'm assuming what you want power wise...not just to say your -1/+2 from stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I do want to do it from stock - everything I've heard about the -1/+2 from stock has been that it is very desirable. I guess no one here knows what the stock amount is :(

I haven't had time yet to look at mine - I work a bit much - 2 jobs, plus a fraternity, plus 2 sports teams, plus full time school. Although now that classes are out, I'll have a chance to look. Funny thing is, counting mine won't do any good. All i need is the stock amount haha. If mine is one thing, but its not right, it doesn't help. Ah I think the point is lost to this group. :(

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
16/48 should be stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Order placed.

FYI they threw in the DID ERV3 chain for free. Kudos to these guys, definitely coming back again. Never been upgraded for free for no reason on any order. Interesting. Placed my order, 10 minutes later I received a call from their sales dept asking if I wanted the free upgrade. U fellas might look into this right now...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Order placed.

FYI they threw in the DID ERV3 chain for free. Kudos to these guys, definitely coming back again. Never been upgraded for free for no reason on any order. Interesting. Placed my order, 10 minutes later I received a call from their sales dept asking if I wanted the free upgrade. U fellas might look into this right now...
is there anything you had to do for the free chain?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The chain wasn't free - it was just a free upgrade.

Like I ordered an RK chain, and Daniel called asking if I wanted the DID ERV3 instead for no extra charge - difference was like 20 bucks I think.

I said ya - and in two days I got it. Sorry for not responding earlier - I didn't notice there was a reply.

Daniel is the guy to talk to - good dude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts