Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2005 r6, had my fun till about 7k rpm for a while the breaking in period is done im at about 800miles, did an oil change already, now i was thinking about pumping some 100 octane pump gas.... are there pros and cons to this?... what do u guys think about this... and alos what kind of oil do you guys use for ur six.

thanks

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
'cept cost ya more money ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feed back and the link guys, sorry about the second time around question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
100 Octane

100 octane is very expensive. The only time it drastically helps is with a non-NA engine (turbo/supercharged). If you did put in 100 octane gasoline you would have to advance your timing, or at least you have to in a car so that it can actually use the extra octane.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
RockyR6 said:
I LOVE the smell of race fuel...

:mrgreen:
you also have a collection of teenage asian girls used underwear so thats not saying much.

unless you are running some obscene compression ratio or have some other radically altered engine, its a waste. but like rocky said, it smells like used asian underwear!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im assuming if you were to run 100 octane once in a while it wont hurt just to clean out the system..... i was at a gas station filling my car and a guy with a gixxer pulled in... and so we started to talk and he said he had rough starts and idle with the 91 pump, but he pumped a tank of 100 and he says its acctually doing very well now

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
as far as i know, there is no additive in a higher grade fuel such as 100octane that cleans out the system. unless you add some yourself (fuel injector cleaner), then there 99.9% likely isn't any in there. all this higher grade octane gas gives you is better resistance to detonation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Interesting thread.... I go up to Tucson once in awhile with a friend who races 1/4 mile on his ZX10R and he uses I think its 110 leaded for racing (actually everyone racing uses something like that). I asked what the advantage was and they all agreed that if you use it once in awhile it helps keep things clean and they said it actually keeps the motor running cooler. They also said not to put any fuel additive or injector cleaner in the tank. So I tried it at the cost of $5.67 a gallon and ran a full tank just to see what all the hype was about... I think I am with the others on this thread.... I didn't notice any performance changes, but it did seem to run a little cooler... (like 4-5 degrees) but I could do that with a heavier oil and wetter water at a fraction of the price... So like the other guy said...placebo?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'd never run 110 leaded in my bike, i had a 2003 vw 1.8t GTi, i had a boost controler, with stright 3inch pipping turbo back, it ran great... but as far as leaded, stock valves, and cats.... i would think twice about it... with higher boost the fuel really ocmes in handy... btw the beast is gone now i blew my tranny racing like 6 times, finally got the dealer to buy it back from me (

lemon law..... :jump

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
bbored130 said:
Interesting thread.... I go up to Tucson once in awhile with a friend who races 1/4 mile on his ZX10R and he uses I think its 110 leaded for racing (actually everyone racing uses something like that). I asked what the advantage was and they all agreed that if you use it once in awhile it helps keep things clean and they said it actually keeps the motor running cooler. They also said not to put any fuel additive or injector cleaner in the tank. So I tried it at the cost of $5.67 a gallon and ran a full tank just to see what all the hype was about... I think I am with the others on this thread.... I didn't notice any performance changes, but it did seem to run a little cooler... (like 4-5 degrees) but I could do that with a heavier oil and wetter water at a fraction of the price... So like the other guy said...placebo?
I think on the vpfuels site, it you look, the higher octane gas does actually burn cooler if i remember correctly. they have specs of all their fuels on there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ran a bottle of octane boost once. Not sure of the brand, it had a fiery horse on the bottle. It didn't do anything other than blow flames out of my exaust and cause some backfiring. Then again, i did add half the bottle to the tank. Waste of time and money(and almost my motor) :twisted:

·
Registered
283 Posts
so ur sayin for one night if i feel like showin off by shootin flames,.... all i have to do is put in octane boost !!......sweet !!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well.......adding Octane Booster, that won't do shit!!

If you add it by directions, you're still only raisaing your say... 91 octane to maybe 91.4 - 91.6 maybe.

Octane booster's will say that it raises fuel octane for example 6 points.

Those POINTS are in tenths! So you raised your fuel from 91 to 91.6 octane. Everyone would like to think........6 points as in 91 up to 97..nope.

And i'm drunk, so if i keep going on this, you guys will be reading a book......so PM if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.