Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost I know the bike wont see any improvements from 110 if its not tuned for 110, and its not. But I put a little over 2gal in thw tank after being mislead that it was a better option for winter storage over pump gas. I ran it and at first it seemed to shift a bit smoother and idle a bit smoother but then noticed a lag on the top end, so slowly I added 93 back in 1 galon at a time.

Its got about 1 gal of 110 and 3 of 93, I noticed a white residue on the exhaust. Now the bike has a full system and is very well tuned by a well known shop. But its not tuned for 110 or any type of race gas.

Is there anything I should be worried about in terms of potential damage done to the bike or did I stop it in time?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
High octane won't damage it. Nothing to worry about. Different brands of octane booster are known to leave different kinds of residue behind. It'll clean itself up in time. The Lucas stuff seems to be the best. It can leave a sort of greasy kind of residue behind. I've used it long-term with no known ill effects. Just recently switched over to Dyno-Tab. Not many reviews but those that I did find, mentioned nothing negative; contrary to all the bottled brands.

BTW look at the emissions label in your trunk. My 2nd-Gen says 95 RON minimum octane. More especially on Winter gas, I have to run that minimum to keep the plugs from slowly fowling. It can get ssuuppeerr lean on Winter fuel.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Lfirst thing comes to mind.. without more air volume and advanced timing above 91 octane is purely a waste of money. Now will it burn as completely as 91 in the same time of milliseconds of combustion? No. Lower octane is sort of like advancing timing since our >13.2:1 compression can cause 87 to ignite before the plug fires (detonation, pre-ignition.)

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,411 Posts
General rule of thumb for max power is use the lowest octane you can without causing knock (pre-ignition).

·
pin it to win it
8,085 Posts
What gas? Some race gas shouldn't be left in the tank/ lines. If it's pump gas with 110 no worries

1 - 6 of 6 Posts