Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I recently replaced both tires, cleaned the front brake calipers, put in new brake fluid, and did a chain/sprocket cleaning job. I thought my new setup was running slow the first time out, but attributed it to air pressure on my new tires (Pilot Power 3). After experimenting with air pressure a bit I settled on 31-32psi for now, but I still feel like my acceleration isn't there anymore.

Today I went and tested it on this really long downhill road I know of and the fastest I could get the bike to go was 118mph. I used to be able to get to 135mph really easily on this hill with a lot of throttle left, but now I am struggling to get it to even 118. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to check? Thanks.

During this test I also experienced a short speed wobble which I've never experienced before on my old 2CT tires.

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,070 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention.
All stock 2007 R6 with 11k miles on it.
Wtf gearing and or tire size are you running? A stock R6 will do 155/160 (ish)

"It just doesn't matter"

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,070 Posts
I've never touched the gearing unless somehow I ****ed up in the rear wheel replacement? Stock tire sizes.

Front / Tire Size: 120/70ZR17 58W
Rear / Tire Size: 180/55ZR17 73W
Lift the rear and make sure the wheel spins freely. Can you confirm you gearing? (Stock for you year is 16F/45R.)
How does the bike run?

"It just doesn't matter"

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,070 Posts
Lift the rear and make sure the wheel spins freely, ya might want to check the front wile you at it. Can you confirm you gearing? (Stock for you year is 16F/45R.)
How does the bike run?

"It just doesn't matter"

"It just doesn't matter"

·
Just lean harder...
884 Posts
Probly missing one of the spacers or the race, may have fell out when you had the tires changed.

·
Just lean harder...
884 Posts
The spacers on the outside, the smaller diameter one goes on the brake side. You need to take the wheel off and remove the cush drive to make sure there is a short race/spacer then a long spacer inside the wheel. If you are missing any one of those you could do some damage and the rear wheel bearings would be all bound up under the torque of the wheel nut.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The spacers on the outside, the smaller diameter one goes on the brake side. You need to take the wheel off and remove the cush drive to make sure there is a short race/spacer then a long spacer inside the wheel. If you are missing any one of those you could do some damage and the rear wheel bearings would be all bound up under the torque of the wheel nut.
Okay. I will take a look at this tomorrow when the sun comes back up. Curious, is the front wheel spacers different like the rear wheel too?

·
Just lean harder...
884 Posts
The outside front spacers are the same and the spacer in the front wheel cant fall out. Most all of the time the cush drive is removed to mount and balance the rear tire and that is when the spacer and race are known to fall out.

·
Just lean harder...
884 Posts
6 is the spacer and 7 is the race that sits inside the bearing 4. Bearing 4 is pressed in and doesn't come out. 6 & 7 can fall out when the sprocket and cush drive are pulled off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
6 is the spacer and 7 is the race that sits inside the bearing 4. Bearing 4 is pressed in and doesn't come out. 6 & 7 can fall out when the sprocket and cush drive are pulled off.

Thanks for the pic. Those pieces definitely fell out when i had my wheel balanced and I put them back in a manner I thought was correct visually thinking they would only go back one way. Up on the stand the bike will go again tomorrow.

·
iRun
33,226 Posts
Also, let the bike idle and warm up then use a spray bottle on the headers to determine if one or more of them aren't firing.. If a plug or two is fouled that'll pretty seriously cut down your power. :laugh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.