Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
yarrrrrrrg 6
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...... i got a ticket in ventura county, in oxnard for doing 120mph, exceeding 100mph, i wanted to know what i could do to try and fight the ticket, as i know i wasnt going ~that~ fast. they said they had me on radar at 110mph and a 2nd cop was following me before i noticed him and pulled over. any idea's? comments etc.. blah blah thanks in advance. yes i want to try and fight the ticket as i cant afford to just take it without a fight.

i know im going to reschedule it a few times and push it out till near the holiday season so hopefully they dont show up, and im going to request that the cop with the radar gun shows her up to date credentials for the use of a radar gun.. anything else?

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
So how fast were you going. If the cop got you on radar not much sense in fighting it. If you can't afford the ticket don't speed :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well here in PA you can forget having a driver's license for a very very long time getting clocked at 120. Nothing to fight about if you were going close to that speed. I had a buddy that was speeding in his car at 120mph and fought that the radar gun hasn't been calibrated within the last year. IN-fact the gun was out of date by almost 2 years, so he got only a minimal speeding fine. But he seems to get pulled over now just for doing 3 mph over all the time. Blah...

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
I know what it is without even thinking. Well played sir!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
hahaha :lmao well played

Well here in PA you can forget having a driver's license for a very very long time getting clocked at 120. Nothing to fight about if you were going close to that speed. I had a buddy that was speeding in his car at 120mph and fought that the radar gun hasn't been calibrated within the last year. IN-fact the gun was out of date by almost 2 years, so he got only a minimal speeding fine. But he seems to get pulled over now just for doing 3 mph over all the time. Blah...

Good Luck.
If this happened in NY, license = gone, and it a felony so you would be facing heavy fines AND Jail time... just another reason why NY sucks ass.

But all in all, you played the game, you lost, now its time to pay the price for your stupidity

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Worst ticket I have received was 96 in a 65. Was 6 points and cost me $320. Just pay the ticket and be more careful next time.

·
I intend to live forever.
302 Posts
You were speeding. WAY speeding and got caught. Deal with it. Surprised you even have the bikes still... lots of places would have impounded it on the spot, and jail time to come and no license.

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
so...... i got a ticket in ventura county, in oxnard for doing 120mph, exceeding 100mph, i wanted to know what i could do to try and fight the ticket, as i know i wasnt going ~that~ fast. they said they had me on radar at 110mph and a 2nd cop was following me before i noticed him and pulled over. any idea's?
Its important to note whether the cop wrote the ticket as a infraction or as a misdemeanor. If he wrote you an infraction then your probably looking at 2 points on your record and a cash fine. However, if he wrote you a misdemeanor, now your looking at actual criminal court as opposed to traffic court. Criminal court can get ugly. I had a friend who was cited for reckless driving (140'ish on the fwy) and the cop wrote it as a misdemeanor. At 1st meeting they tried to give him 180 days (yes... jail). Mind you he was not evading police... just going real fast... and they attempted to give him 180 days. He got a lawyer and ended up doing 30 days (only served 12 for good behavior and over crowding) plus 30 days community service. So still you can see the punishment is pretty severe. Just a note he had a 100% clean record before that. If he wrote you a misdemeanor I suggest you look into getting a lawyer. The reckless driving charge he got carried 2 points on to his record. How it affected his insurance though was very strange. He rides a 1000. His insurance for his bike stayed exactly the same, $300 a year for full coverage. His insurance for his car, however, went up $1200 a year. In California it will take 3 years for those points to fall off. Meaning he'll pay $3600 total over the next three years in higher insurance fees because of his ticket.

Its also important to note infraction vs misdemeanor because it is my understanding (based on my buddies experience) that the citing officer(s) do not have to show up to court for a misdemeanor. The reason being... with an infraction the officer is the acting prosecutor and it is his testimony that convicts you. With a misdemeanor an actual district attorney is prosecuting you using the evidence given from the officer, another words your being charged as a criminal in criminal court. Once again thats just my understanding of how things work and I am in no way educated in law or any type of expert on this subject, for all I know I could be 100% wrong. If you have any friends who are cops or lawyers you should ask them about this, they'd be able to give you a better understanding.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. Good luck.

how could you not notice someone following you as you were doing 120?
There tends to be a lot of traffic in Southern California, if he was doing 120 he probably didn't have much time to look behind him for the simple fact that doing so might cause him to rear-end a vehicle. I'd bet he never looked behind him the moment he broke 100mph.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts