Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new r6 back around thanksgiving time. A few days after I got it I dropped it in my driveway, bending the front brake lever, and broke the right front foot peg in half.
After that day I noticed that the front brake makes a slight rubbing sound like you would from rubbing your finger around the rim of a crystal glass.

How can I fix this? Its not the end of the world but it's annoying to think that a brand new bike is making noise every stop sign. It makes the sound as I pull off not when actually stopping. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

My Ride
2014 red/white/black Yzf-R6

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Do you have stands? If so get it off the ground and give the front wheel a spin. Does the front wheel still spin freely?

I would check your rotors to make sure they aren't warped from the fall, but I imagine that would make more of a pulsing sound as they rubbed. You could have bent something on the calipers that's making it hard for the pistons to return after the pressure is relieved. It's hard to say without seeing them. You could take them apart and clean them, put new seals in, but I imagine on a '14 they're still in pretty good shape.

Pull the pads out and check them visually.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have stands? If so get it off the ground and give the front wheel a spin. Does the front wheel still spin freely?

I would check your rotors to make sure they aren't warped from the fall, but I imagine that would make more of a pulsing sound as they rubbed. You could have bent something on the calipers that's making it hard for the pistons to return after the pressure is relieved. It's hard to say without seeing them. You could take them apart and clean them, put new seals in, but I imagine on a '14 they're still in pretty good shape.

Pull the pads out and check them visually.
I do have a rear wheel stand just not one for the front. But I'm looking into getting a front stand now. Anyways,
Let me ask you, I have very little experience dealing with brakes, before I start messing with it, are there springs inside the calipers? I just suck at putting springs back in. Can someone link me to a diagram of the front brakes? If not I'll have to find one

My Ride

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I do have a rear wheel stand just not one for the front. But I'm looking into getting a front stand now. Anyways,
Let me ask you, I have very little experience dealing with brakes, before I start messing with it, are there springs inside the calipers? I just suck at putting springs back in. Can someone link me to a diagram of the front brakes? If not I'll have to find one

My Ride
No there aren't any springs. The idea is that when you squeeze your lever it pushes the plunger on the master cylinder and fluid gets pushed out the end and down the brake lines and into the calipers.

With the increased pressure in the calipers, the pistons get pushed outward. They push the brake pads outward and squeeze the brake discs. The force of the friction slows the wheel.

When the pressure on the lever and in the system is released, there is nothing pushing the pads toward the discs anymore. The pads might drag very lightly, but not with near enough force for you to lose any speed.

Have a look at the part diagram, it should help http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2013/YZFR6+-+YZFR6DCG/FRONT+BRAKE+CALIPER/parts.html. I would also download an owners manual and a service manual for your bike. Anything 2008+ should be the same.

The service manual will give you a step by step on how to do everything, including disassembling and reassembling the front brakes. I would make sure you feel comfortable with what you're doing before you start, or else find someone to help. Like everything else on your bike, you don't want to be cruising down the street at 50mph and find out you didn't put it back together right.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Are you sure the rubbing sound isn't normal drag? Are you sure it wasn't there before? Maybe your only noticing it now because you have a reason to expect something to be wrong. It might be worth bringing it to a mechanic just to listen to it and tell you if it's normal or if it's a problem. If you know a good bike shop or even a friend who knows about bikes, they would likely be able to tell you.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
The brakes will always have slight drag. you probably didn't notice before.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
Are you sure the rubbing sound isn't normal drag? Are you sure it wasn't there before? Maybe your only noticing it now because you have a reason to expect something to be wrong. It might be worth bringing it to a mechanic just to listen to it and tell you if it's normal or if it's a problem. If you know a good bike shop or even a friend who knows about bikes, they would likely be able to tell you.
Just as I was typing it up. :swordfigh

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
download an owners manual Like everything else on your bike, you don't want to be cruising down the street at 50mph and find out you didn't put it back together right.

Lol yeah that's why I haven't tried to fix it till now. I just know that rubbing might destroy the life of the pads and rotors

My Ride

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Would it be normal for it to be so loud I can hear it while riding away front a stop sign? That's the other thing too, it doesn't always do it, and when it does if I tap the front brake it will stop the noise sometimes... Very frustrating. I'm going to see if I can get my cuz to help me. I really hope that noise isn't normal. It reminds me of the first new vehicle I bought, 2006 Nissan Titan. I remember getting home and backing out the driveway and hearing the brakes. When I called nissan they said "oh our brakes make that sound". Nothing like paying 30 grand for a truck only to have brakes that sound like they belong on an old busted up school bus hopefully I just need to readjust them.

My Ride

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Lol yeah that's why I haven't tried to fix it till now. I just know that rubbing might destroy the life of the pads and rotors

My Ride
turning the bars, making steering inputs, will cause the forks to flex a tad (i mean at street speed, with weight on the tires). when this occurs, the pads will get pushed back a tiny bit. if ya wanna try it out, take your bike around the block and try just using the rear brake to slow.. then put the bike up on the stand and you will see the front wheel spin mega-free. Just be careful :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turning the bars, making steering inputs, will cause the forks to flex a tad (i mean at street speed, with weight on the tires). when this occurs, the pads will get pushed back a tiny bit. if ya wanna try it out, take your bike around the block and try just using the rear brake to slow.. then put the bike up on the stand and you will see the front wheel spin mega-free. Just be careful :)
I'll have to get a front stand before I can do that but I have done the riding using only the back brake. And it doesn't make that noise.

My Ride

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I'll have to get a front stand before I can do that but I have done the riding using only the back brake. And it doesn't make that noise.

My Ride
well.. just do the rest, making sure to use engine braking and the rear brake only when ya get to your house (or for a a block before ya stop for gas) and push the bike listening for the drag.. that won't be there :)

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
Would it be normal for it to be so loud I can hear it while riding away front a stop sign? That's the other thing too, it doesn't always do it, and when it does if I tap the front brake it will stop the noise sometimes... Very frustrating. I'm going to see if I can get my cuz to help me. I really hope that noise isn't normal. It reminds me of the first new vehicle I bought, 2006 Nissan Titan. I remember getting home and backing out the driveway and hearing the brakes. When I called nissan they said "oh our brakes make that sound". Nothing like paying 30 grand for a truck only to have brakes that sound like they belong on an old busted up school bus hopefully I just need to readjust them.

My Ride
all oem brake pads make noise..if you upgrade to ceramic noise goes away..my audis brakes made noise till i switched them out with ceramic same with my 350z...

since your bike is still new i would take it to the dealership and have them look at it. They shouldnt charge you anything since youre still under warranty. If they say nothing is wrong i would get a second opinion from a trusted mechanic just to be sure...i could hear my rotors if i coast in neutral to a stop i guess it kinda sounds what youre describing..never paid much attention to when im taking off though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts