Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently did the 520 chain and 15-50 sprocket conversion. i dont really like this regear ratio and wanted to go back to stock. since the front sprocket is now new, if i go with a 45 tooth rear would this bring me back to stock gearing? since going down -1 in the front is like going up +3 in the rear i figured a 45 rear would then equal a 48.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run 16-50 in 520 SS. Just buy a 16 for the front and you should feel more comfortable. I do 3rd gear stand up power wheelies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i do alot of highway riding to work. with this setup ( 15-50 ) my rpms are way up at highspeeds. the bike vibrates to much with the rpm's that high to be riding for 45min to an hour non stop. at 90mph my tach is at like 11 grand. before it was at 8 grand or so.

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
R6IAN said:
i do alot of highway riding to work. with this setup ( 15-50 ) my rpms are way up at highspeeds. the bike vibrates to much with the rpm's that high to be riding for 45min to an hour non stop. at 90mph my tach is at like 11 grand. before it was at 8 grand or so.
Gotta love gettin on the freeway though with all that low and midrange torque.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah its fun getting on and blasting by all the cars for about the first 15-20 min but after an hour all the vibrating and engine reving gets old. if i didnt do so much highway riding i would love it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
stock gear ratio is 3.0625:1 (49/16) **oops, wrong stock #--guess ive been sans-R6 for too long**

your setup now is 3.3333:1 (50/15)

very small differences in gear ratio make a big difference (as you have found out)

if you go dn to a 45 in the back you will be at 3.0000:1 (45/15)

with this setup you will have less pull on the bottom end than stock and you will prolly need to chop a link off your chain

INSTEAD

drop the back dn to a 46 (3.0667:1) (46/15)

you may still need to chop your chain a link, but this will get you back close to stock (just very slightly more but close) so you will be at similar rpms per your speed. With the 520 setup, You will still be a little lighter than stock so the bike will be a tad livelier, but your high rpms problem should be under control

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i orderd the 45 rear today. it will be here tomorrow. so the low end might suffer a little but when im riding aggresive if i keep the rpms up high will the upper rpms still be the same? as long as 9 grand and up is still there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stock gear ration is 16/48 which is 3:1 exactly the same as 15:45

But like Jasamb said you will have to cut at least one link out of your chain for you to get the proper slack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
since the 45 tooth sprocket is smaller than the 48, you will not be able to deliver as much torque to the rear wheel as with the stock setup even though your gear ratio is the same! i don't know if you'll be able to tell the difference or not, i'd like to know though...

think about it like this. if your front sprocket was 5 teeth and your rear was 15 teeth can't you just imagine that being harder to spin the rear wheel?

it's like spinning the rear tire in neutral from the hub versus spinning it from the tire.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im getting it on tomorrow so ill post tomorrow night on how it feels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i got the 45 rear on today and all can say is ahhh. its sooo nice to have the rpms back to normal at highway speeds. now at 100 my rpms are at 8500 and the bike doesnt vibrate at all . it pulls a little less but its still plenty fast. i kept the 50 rear since its brand new so when i need to replace the chain i'll do a 16 front with the 50 rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts