Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a 15 tooth front make much of a differance on a 06 r6?
i was thinking of trying this before putting the 47 on the rear..

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i forget the exact........ but -1 in the front is like +2 or +3 in the rear, as far as your gear ratio goes.
the most comman set is 520 chain and sprocket conversion with -1 front and +2 rear.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
-1 tooth on the front is essentially equal to adding three teeth on the rear. The -1/+2 combo with a 520 conversion will give you a very noticable difference in acceleration, with a noticeable decrease in top speed as well. If you dont go 160 anywhere though, the tradeoff is pretty acceptable (and a hell of a lot more fun).

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts
Yes it will make a noticeable difference, most people go for -1 front with a +2 rear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i know most go for -1 and +2 but i was just wondering if anyone was running just a 15 front to get an opinion.
as for the 520, what is the pro's and cons of this mod? and why do people not just run there standard chain with the new gearing?.
thanks for any advice given, Rich

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
15 tooth front with the stock chain and rear sprocket is a good option. Cheap for sure. Plus, you can adjust out the slack and don't need to replace your chain.

The past couple months I've found 15/47 to be too much and I'll be going to 15/45 (this is for track use, mind you)

-D

·
YZF-R6 Fighter Pilot
188 Posts
I just installed a -1 +1 setup on my 04, and I love it. The power delivery is so much better, and so far It seems to not affect gas to much. I seem to be getting 8 miles less to a tank of gas. The power is just better all around. The only thing I don't like is the rpm's run higher, but so far it has been worth it. The 520 chain is lighter than a stock chain. Most people get it because of that and because 520 is the easiest size sprockets to get a hold of I guess. You cant use 520 sprockets with a chain that does not have a pitch of 520.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
for track its not too bad, but not great either. but for street i am thinking bout going up 1 or 2 moe in the rear (i have -1 +2). my old Zx6R was -1 +5 and it was awesome for the street, keep in mind i'm not one of those exsessive speeders. i still got it up to 125mph and that was more than enough for me.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
I run a 15 tooth sprocket up front on the street with the 520 chain. The combination of the lighter chain and smaller sprocket will make a difference. If you stick with the stock chain you might not notice as big of difference because you are not taking the weight off the drive train.

It made a difference on the street and did not raise the rpms to much but helped some on the low end. I change the gears on the rear depending on the track I am riding but leave a 45 tooth rear on for the streets.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Mojo is right. Any time you can take weight off of the drive train, especially reciprocating weight, it is an advantage. First, it lightens your bike. Second, sprockets are easier to get. Third, a 520 chain is often cheaper than larger sized chains. There are other added benefits too. Lighter drivetrain translates into less parasitic drag. Less parasitic drag can offer better throttle response. It also takes less of the engine hp to turn the wheel, making it seem like you have added power when you have not. It can even transfer into minimal gains in fuel economy.

The only cons I can see would be increased rate of chain wear, slightly less tire wear, and if coupled with a -1/+2 sprocket combo, a handful of tickets or a night in the pokey....:D:toocool:

·
Ruff
137 Posts
Can someone direct me in the right direction for a 15T front for my 08????? Some guy had told me that the 06-07 sprocket will not fit on the 08...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts